American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

I decided to write this because I had read some bad reviews about the CD, and I just wanted to say something about them. First of all, "American Idiot" is a great CD. Sure, it has imperfections, but it's still amazing. Sure, Green Day puts a lot of pop into this CD, but, for all you people who say "Dookie" was great and bashed "American Idiot," have you actually heard "Dookie"? It has more pop hooks than "American Idiot." You guys complain about how Green Day bashes George Bush for being a republican, but you're just bashing Green Day for writing catchy songs. I truly hate people that dislike music just because it's mainstream. Some of you probably haven't even listened to the CD. And as far as I know, "American Idiot" is the first punk rock opera. Yeah, "Tommy" was a punk rock opera, but the phrase "punk rock" didn't even exist back then. Anyways, this is one of Green Day's greatest accomplishments.

All I can say is, whiny and boring. No, just kidding. I'm not a stupid, and, in fact, whiny little b--ch who bashes the mainstream for fun. The lyrics are wonderful. They tell a story, but not in a way that you easily know what's going on. Although "Dookie" had the most clever lyrics of Green Day's career, "American Idiot" exceeds that.

01. American Idiot - great opener. Maybe too easy to play but it's good anyway 8/10. 02. Jesus Of Suburbia - best song on the album. People don't think it's the longest song ever, but are amazed that it's being released as a single. A big leap for Green Day 10/10. 03. Holiday - to be honest, I can't stand this song anymore, yes because it was played too much, but I was amazed the first time I heard it 8/10. 04. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams - probably the most hated Green Day song. It's not too impressive and all the guitar layers bother me, but it's still a good song 8/10. 05. Are We The Waiting - least impressive song on the album but still kind of a guily pleasure 8/10. 06. St. Jimmy - refreshing, fast-paced song 9/10. 07. Give Me Novocaine - you might hear the opening of this song and immediately skip it, but it's one of the best songs on the album. Don't worry, it gets distorted after a while 10/10. 08. She's A Rebel - maybe I like "Are We The Waiting" better than this song. This is the point that Green Day gets too poppy 6/10. 09. Extraordinary Girl - extraordinary song. Doesn't really sound like Green Day, but is catchy as hell. 10. Letterbomb - it may not be the best song on the album, but it's my favorite. I don't really like the intro, though 10/10. 11. Wake Me Up When September Ends - excellent ballad that pulls lyrics straight out of Billie's heart. Don't call someone emo just because they have feelings. 12. Homecoming - similar to "Jesus Of Suburbia" but not quite as good. I'm still happy to have it beacuse without it, "Jesus" would have never been created 9/10. 13. Whatsername - I love this song but the first 2 minutes are just a borefest. The ending makes it all worth while, though. Great ending 10/10. Some advice from me to you, don't listen to people who bash this album. Although, I respesct their opinions, I don't respect their arrogance. In my opinion, this is a great album.