American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

When listening to this album I felt like I was listening to a totally different Green Day. Improved drumming from tre, some awesome bass guitar by mike, and I was glad to hear some cool intros and solos from billy. Granted the solo's wherent as good or as long as some of the previous albums. However, some songs seemed rather repeative but we can only blame TV and Radio for constantly playing it. This album had some cool affects and implementation of Saxophone and other intrusments has really show how mature Green Day is becoming. Just to say, to the people that have said all this album is is 'powerchords', firstly find out the difference between power chords and barre chords, and secondly listen to the album again. 9/10 - not 10 because it lacked excellent guitar solos, which we know Billie can do, weve seen it in the past.

Well for the lyrics, some of these songs really touched me and once again has shown how Green Day is maturing. For example "When Septemeber Ends," the lyrics and music compliment each other perfectly, and the lyrics really make you think about life and how fast things go by. Overall the lyrics and music complimented each other well. The words chosen really make you understand the ideology behind the album and really puts you into the heart of it all. As for single skills, what can I say, Billie just has great talent and a very large vocal range. Anyone who has been to a Green Day gig, will know the power of Billies lungs and vocals, With him being able to hold a note for 2-3minutes.

This album is somewhat better and worse than previous albums. Like some of the newer albums, it's lost a bit of the punk feel we felt from 1039/smooth. I don't think I could successfully compare Green Day to any other band. I read another review and someone compared Green Day to turning into Simple Plan. These to bands are in noway the same, nor turning into them. I dont think I could say which song I liked the best, but "When September Ends," "jesus Of Suburbia" and "st Jimmy" are definately very well thought out songs. I love every aspect of this album, great musical talent mixed with great lyrics and great vocals. As I mentioned above the down side has to be lack of lengthy guitar solos, however we do hear a few good ones through-out the album. If it was lost/stolen, I would 100% buy it again.