American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

Lets just start off by saying, Greenday have not sold out. People wining on that Greenday have sold out just annoys me. It seems nobody has a clear idea of what selling out is anymore, its easy! Its when a band will deliberatly change theyre sound of music to appeal commercially to more people and therefore make more money. Anybody who knows anything about this album will know that Greenday took a huge risk when writing this album, they had no idea if it would be another Dookie or just another Warning (personally not a big fan of that album). And yes this is an anti-Bush album, which now is getting very dull I will admit that, but its not like Greenday saw everyone else doing it and thought "hey that would be a good idea," no! Nobody was saying anything about politics before American Idiot, so yes you could blame Greenday for starting the Anti-Bush movemnet, but not for jumping onto it. Plus Greenday never claim to be "punk" they claim to be "punk-rock" which now is pretty much a genre they have created for themselves. Billie has really applied himself to this album, creating a really good story with good songs to acompany it. Songs which now move away from the 3 chord punk-rock he used to play and now have a more of a depth about it, so much so that they have had to bring long time 2nd guitarist, Jason White, to the front of the band.

Just brilliant. Not much ore you can say. The way each song flows into the other using unique lyrical images just allows the album to play on your cd player for days without getting tiring. The only song that sone might say stops the flow is "Wake Me Up When September Ends" which doesn't really follw the story at all. but it does show us where billie gets all his pain from to help him write an album like this. It's easy to take the feeling of Billie singing bout his dead dad and transfer it into any of his songs and see how it all fits together.

This album will set the bench mark for anybody trying to enter this genre, plain and simple. Songs of such brilliance like "Wake Me Up When Semptember Ends" and "Jesus Of Surburbia" only seem to come around every few years, the fact that on this album there are about 9 or 10 of the same standard is just extrodinary! I already have a spare copy so if my original gets stolen I will still have all the listening pleasure I want!