American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Green Day: American Idiot

Green Day uses simple chord progression in 99% of it's songs on the American idiot album. There is no problem to that, Jimi Hendrix wrote "Manic Depression" using simple scales. Well, I bought this album at HMV and prayed to god that this album wouldn't crap out with it's Anti-bush spearhead. American Idiot (the song) was alright, Holiday wasn't so bad. But all the others. Seriously, like Jesus Of Suburbia is something special. 9 minutes, wow, longest in history. Give me a break. And Wake Me Up When September Ends. It's like a new testament to some people. It's really nothing great.

The lyrics sucked. Green Day just isn't meant for these pop-operas. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams, Billy Joe apparently has some problem. Like what? Be more specific. The lyrics did, however, fit well with the songs. They sucked. Billy Joe can have a unique and distinguishable voice when he wants to. Put he is sliding slowly (and in some ways flying) towards Good Charlotte and Simple plan. I could have come up with these lyrics with a hangover, an out of control plane, and a few pads of paper. "One nation controlled by the media." You are the media, you dumass. People have got to look more closely at what Green Day is getting away with.

This in no way should be called a Green Day album. What happened to such great albums such as "Dookie" and "Warning," with songs that would give you adrenaline, such as "Longview" and "Hitchin A Ride." No one really cared if it was about masterbation or taking a shit, it was a song that never got old. Hell, I still listen to Green Day's older albums. American Idiot has given me some laughs though. Several occations on the transit where two girls sitting near me go "Oh, Billy is so hot. But their music is pretty good. I know! Only their first album too!" Jeez. Also "That's not how the solo goes! I don't care about friggin en-harmonic notes, it has to be up here! That's how Billy did it!" Well, a warning to whoever somehow hasn't heard or bought this album. Don't. Especially to old Green Day fans. We are the true people able to call ourselves fans. We recognize how Green Day is turning from punk rock to emo. Let me clear something up with emo. Emo is short for Emotive hardcore, a style of music. That style invented several "emo" hairstyles which closeley resembled Goths on a lighter scale. Thus, everyone forgot about "emotive hardcore" and suddenly "emo" had a new definition of its own. Slitting wrists was thrown into the mix. This is the new brand for Green Day. And for some reason (mainstreamers) billions of people like it. Hell, it won't be long until poverty-stricken Africans are jumping to the music. Oh, looks like Green Day forgot to mention them. Same lyrics and songs, yet about the problems in Africa? No one would like them. A simple change. Green Day invented this album solely for making money, and to show off his Les Paul.