American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

This album is one of the bands greatest. It really got their career going again. It just sounds so brilliant. Not the most original, but why change something that works perfectly? I have to say, some of the solos are amazing, others aren't but no album is perfect. Every song tells part of the story of two guys that I think are brothers brothers (Jesus Of Suburbia and St. Jimmy). I almost think it could become a film. Wouldn't that be cool, an album to film conversion, loving that idea. The styles varry quite a bit. I mean, one minuite your chilling to Are We The Waiting, then the next, your headbanging to St. Jimmy, then your back down for Give Me Novacaine. Few songs later, you realise why alot of people hate Bush in Wake Me Up When September Ends. American Idiot is a step forward in Green Day's career, music and culture.

The lyrics are amazing as well. Again, not the best I've heard from Green Day, but still amazing. The best lyrics have to be Jesus of Suburbia. Think about it, "I'm the son of rage and love. The Jesus of Suburbia". Billie Joe, I salute you. Very imaginative lyrics and (I know your probably fed up of me by now but still) turning an album into a story is pure genious. Hugely imaginative lyrics. I know some people don't like this album because it went political with American Idiot and Wake Me Up When September Ends, but I say it going political is a way of bringing punk back to life! NOw don't say you didn't like the era of punk music.

This is a great album, but not as good as Warning or Nimrod. Better than Insomniac, about as good as Dookie or Shenanigans. I love the way it tells a story. Last time I saw that waas in The Streets, A Grand Don't Come For Free. The best songs on this album are Jesus of Suburbia and Homecoming. To keep somebody listening and interested for 10 minuits is some feat and Green Day have done this easily. There isn't much to hate about this album at all except the delay between Shenanigans and American Idiot. If this was stolen, I would hunt down the theif and kill them, or buy a new copy, either way.