American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

The sound, to me personally, is slightly different from what you'd get from 1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours. Green Day kinda went alternative in this album because it feels harder. The singing is different because nowadays, we get Billie Joe's older voice, alternate to back in albums like Dookie, Insomniac, where we got a somewhat younger voice. However, seeing this being the very first album I bought, I am quite impressed with how much Green Day has grown in sound.

The overall story of the lyrics maintains a storyline about the Jesus of Suburbia (who we'll call JoB), who ventures through the world trying to find a meaning in his life. American Idiot discribes his cry for attention, him going to the city, his transformation into St. Jimmy, the rise and fall of his love with Whatsername. The lyrics are quite intelligent (although they put a lot of emphasis on drugs for some reason) and tell the story very nicely. The only problem I had with the album is the fact that it has the Parental Advisory sticker because of the lyrics. As for why, it seems that Green Day will always curse on their albums. Overall, the lyrics deserve a (as for the singer's skills, it's quite impressive because he knows when to be loud).

The album really compares to the older albums. It shows that Green Day is growing up and the fact that they aren't teenagers anymore. The most impressive songs from the album would have to be "American Idiot", "Holiday/Boulevard Of Broken Dreams", "St. Jimmy", "Whatsername", "She's A Rebel" and my personal favorite "Wake Me Up When September Ends." I like the album because it was the album that introduced me to what (in my book) is the greatest band I have ever listened to. I don't like it because after I heard this, I heard 1, 039, Dookie, Insomniac, Internation Superhits and then I found that the older stuff somehow has a more punk sound while in American Idiot, Green Day kinda departed into the alternative genre. If it were stolen, I would buy it again, but thankfully I have all the songs saved on my iPod. But if someone steals my iPod, then vengeance will be mine!