American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

The first impression I took when I decided not to categorize this as Greed Day work. I took this for a pop-rock album. This has a whole theme about somebody who changes his Underground name from Jesus to St. Jimmy or something of the sort (I don't really care about this fictional character. The style in a fair way is different from anything they have done which some may like and others (fans) will hate with anything.

The lyrics are certainly Political in the Title track and others but reflects on the theme about the characters that probably relate to Armstrong's low point in his life. The lyrics in Wake me up when September ends are very good at telling what they mean. It seems that Homecoming for how good it can be flip-flops here and there with different singers and the that whiny "Nobody Likes You" gets me sick. Overall the lyrics are alright but Armstrong can sing better than your average pop-punk singer.

I think that Green Day are in a transformation phase from pop-punk to real pop-rock that started at about Nimrod. The work here may not be appreciated but the changing of their sound could end up real good. This sounds little like their oldest pure power chord poppy-punk sound of Insomniac and Dookie but really shows improvement in some sort of way. I think the most impressive song is St. Jimmy because it basically has a little bit of everything on the album in one song. I would buy it again but it isn't the best album out there.