American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Green Day: American Idiot

This recent album by Green Day I beleive is not one of there greatest albums. it's so different from there other albums, and they kinda sound emo in it. There hits "Holiday", "Boulavard of Broken Dreams", and "American Idiot" are the only songs on this album worth listening to. They are also the songs that sound like songs from there previous albums (hint, hint Green Day). The other songs on this are either short and stupid or long and boring. "Jesus of Suberbia" is just a bunch of really short songs with like 5-7 lines of lyrics, pushed together to make a single song. "Homecoming" was even worse and was as long. Some people could make a case that "Wake Me Up When September Ends" was a good song but I found it kind of boring.

Green Day took a page out of "The Who" and started using us against them lyrics, or they used "Rage Against the Machine" and used anti-American lyrics. "American Idiot" is a prime example. The lyrics were all pretty good except in "We are the Waiting" which basically used the same line over and over and over again. We get it, we are the waiting, no need to say it a billion times. Billie Joe Armstrong's singing skills are not being questioned here, what is being questioned is what he is singing. He is an amazing singer and has a very distinguished voice.

My overall impression of this album is that if someone were to steal this album I would probably let it go unless I saw it on sale. It was of course good for all modern punk fans but to real Green Day this was kind of corny and pretty annoying. This album got so much air time when it came out that I got sick of it very quickly then I got the album and stopped listening to it, after a very short time.