American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

Okay, first of all, Green Day is and will always be my favorite band. I don't care what anyone says they are awesome. For a pop-punk band they are great, and I really don't like pop-punk. The only problem is that American Idiot made me want to throw my stereo out the window. It wasn't the fact that it was a bad CD (it is really good), it was just that I couldn't beleive it was a Green Day CD. It just didn't have the feel of a Green Day CD. The whole idea of it being a big rock opera thing was cool, but it just wasn't greenday. The main problem was the music. Some of the songs (Boulevard Of Broken Dreams, Are We the Waiting, Wake Me Up When September Ends, and Whatsername) were just so not greenday. I think maybe if Hellogoodbye had done them then I would have no problem, because I expect crap from them. But I expected a lot more from Green Day. But there are songs on it like St. Jimmy and Jesus Of Suburbia which were great. But only 1/3 of the songs are really good.

The lyrics of the CD were really good. They for the most part did seem like there was a little greenday left in them. But again the songs like Wake Me up When September Ends (its about his dad dying, so it would be rude to say it's stupid) but I just don't think that it belonged on this CD. The lyrics are really emotional too. It's not the angry, sarcastic emotion on early CDs. it's the sad and sorry emotion. But then there are songs like American Idiot and Holdiay, where the lyrics are actually really good and punk(ish).

I think that overall the albulm is worth buying if you are a Green Day fan like me. If not then don't bother even looking at it. I would say that you should download American Idiot, Holdiay, Letterbomb, Jesus of Suburbia and St. Jimmy though (legally of course). If your interested in hearing greenday, definitly buy Dookie or Insomniac. I really did like the good songs but I hate the dumb songs. Some people might be into some of there bad songs, I like all of the songs, but I was disapointed that they were on a Green Day album.