American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Green Day: American Idiot

The drums are excellent, Tre'cool is truely a great drummer, the drums are often a highlight of the songs. Billie Joe Armstrong is a good guitarist, not great though. I've took the time to learn some Green Day and their songs just aren't a challenge. Nor are they that interesting, not the songs I'd play to have fun, their just power chords all the way through and maybe a simple solo. But simple as the solo's are, they are well written. And of course can't forget the bassist, Mike Dirnt. He is a good bassist and a positive contribution to the music, listen to his bass playing at the start of "St. Jimmy".

The lyrics are well written, they rhyme, everything. Pretty good if you ask me, and like always they go excellently with the music. Still don't think Billie Joe Armstrong's a good singer, listen to "Wake Me Up When September Ends". In that song he sings well as well as playing a guitar part that isn't as easy as it sounds and goes well with the lyrics. Through the album there are no awkward moments in the singing, it just all fits well.

Green Day are generally good, and this album is one of their best but I just don't like some of the songs, some I simply find boring like "Are We Waiting", "Whatsername" and "Extraordinary Girl". There are some good ones though, like "American Idiot", "Holiday," their the main two that come to mind. If your a lover of metal and the heavier stuff, don't waste your time buying this album. Green Day are a light sort of punk rock, the least heaviest rock band I know. And while the lyrics fit well with the guitar, it could never match the ultimate guitar melodies and lyrics of none other than "My Chemical Romance", who do have some heavier songs. My opinion, is buy some "My Chemical Romance". But this album isn't bad, but if it was stolen, I wouldn't be in any sort of rush to get it back, not at all.