American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

Well, if Dookie was Green Day at their best, then history may have repeated itself. Just possibly one of the best punk/rock albums to have been released. It's a standard Green Day album: a bit pop-like, a lot of swearing, a few government issues tackled. When listening to the album, you feel grabbed by the fact that, yes, it's Green Day and yes, it's finally original enough to say that this was a landmark for the history of punk/rock. With a terrible world we live in, anything could be inspiring enough to cause an outburst as strong as this. Yes, it's a great outer shell, but I feel that the sequel will be the best sequel the world will see. Overall, Green Day's American Idiot is slightly more story bound than any other album they've released.

Billie Joe, stepping up to the mic for the ninth time in 15 years. The lyrics in the song Homecoming really show what the the band members think about things. The line that refers to jesus filling paper work: "He'd rather be doing something else now, like cigarettes and coffee with the underbelly". It's incredible that they can get away with that, never mind the often references to the subliminal messages the government are sending. Although the lyrics have meanings, that means nothing. When you hear those opening chords to Letterbomb, you get lost in the moment and wish it would never end. But when it does, you simply play it again and again. Not many songs can drag people into seeing something that's true, but unspoken of; however Geen Day certainly opened my eyes to the differences to now and say 30 years ago. Yes, the lyrics ARE catchy, but thers a deeper inner meaning to all of this.

To me, this album is the best thing to leave america(in the punk rock region of music). By far their best album to date, I just can't wait for the sequel. My favourite song on this album is Letterbomb. It was the first of the album I'd heard and I knew that I had to buy that album. I recommend this to any Green Day fans and any non Green Day fans.