American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

The sound on this album is probably the most punk rock that Green Day has done. By that, I mean it has the punk rock sound, not the punk rock lyrics and meaning ("American Idiot" is the exception for the previous sentence). The song I find the best on this album, is definately the famous "American Idiot". It has the most punk rock twist, and totally crashes on Bush! I've got to agree, the sound for this album is the best Green Day has done!

That distinct way that Billie Joe sings definately adds to this album. And his lyrics are wonderful! This god of punk rock manages to use huge, complex words (I.e. subliminal, information, hysteria, armageddon, etc.) in a way that everyone can understand them! Plus he adds a little bit of an emo twist that would make even the most shallow man cry. No one but Mr. Armstrong would've thought to use analogies such as: "and she's holding on my heart like a hand grenade", "another protestor has crossed the line, to find that the money's on the other side", etc. In my opinion, the songs that can stand up to these lyrics are "Longview", "Good Riddance", and "Minority" (all from "International Superhits").

I have to say, few can pull off punk rock quite like Green Day. If you do decide to try this CD, make sure to listen to these songs first: "American Idiot" (#1), "Holiday" (#3), "St. Jimmy" (#6), "Jesus of Suburbia" (#2), and "When September Ends" (#11). Those five songs are the best first impression that "American Idiot" can give. If my copy were ever stolen or lost, no worries. I already own 2 other copies!