American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

For a band that's been around since '87 Green Day has been going strong for 22 years, with two generations of fans, world tours and 8 studio albums, they've always stuck to the same sound, and people knew what to expect, but never know what they were about to hear. Punk rock is the life blood of their thriving success, and American Idiot doesn't disappoint, to me being the most genuine punk rock I've heard since Rage Against the Machine. All the songs are catchy and instantly likable, my personal favorite being American Idiot for it's fast paced sound and great protest lyrics that bring you back to reality, which I think is the sole goal of this album. The main protagonist is Jimmy or 'The Jesus of Suburbia' which implies he saves the people in suburbia (hence the 'Jesus') who lives in Jingletown, US, who is someone in his own world of drugs, TV and sex, then he later gets bored of Jingletown and decides to leave, in the 'City of the Damned' and the rest of the album are his adventures living the life he was looking for and finally found. This album has a great mix of really fast paced songs and then some slow ballads, which are in a great order for sound and feeling, like how Holiday ends where Boulevard of Broken Dreams (the nest track #4) begins. I don't find that much change in sense of music styles from their previous albums, however you can definitely sense that the band has a different motive and feel for this album, that they are truly passionate about and you can also, just by listening and comparing see how in this album the band has definitely changed in maturity writing about more serious topics, such as the death of Billy Joe Armstrong's (lead singer/guitarist) father in Wake Me Up When September Ends, where he expresses true sorrow. There are also great displays of changing in pitch and volume like in Boulevard of Broken Dreams and Extraordinary Girl. All in all, I believe it's the soul that Green Day put into this album that gave it such a great sound.

My overall impression of the lyrics is that you can tell by the complexity of the words they were well thought over and they just sound great together and hardly any of them rhyme (obviously some do of course) which means that the words just simply go well together and the music that goes perfectly with them is like stitching up a cut making it look great, yet in this case sound great. Each song is a masterpiece, the words so true and meaningful. Billy Joe Armstrong, the lead vocalist is a great singer because he has his own way of bending his words to make them sound the way he thinks they should be heard, and it ties in well with the music and his voice is really great, no song is too high or too low for him to sing because his voice varies in many different pitches and his voice is just so darn cool.

This is my favorite CD of all time, and for so many reasons. The thing is, I love Green Day and have almost all of their albums (missing Kerplunk and Shenanigans :)) which gives me lots of space to compare and take a look at how their music has changed since their first studio album Dookie from 1994, to American Idiot a decade later, and i think it's definitely improved. I love Dookie, but American Idiot is just fantastic and I see improvement over all albums and I even think (this is somewhat debatable cause I love it as well) it is better than 21st Century Breakdown, Green Day's latest album. American Idiot has improved in the sound and lyrics. The most impressive songs of the album to me are American Idiot-Fast paced blood pumping, this IS punk rock, Jesus of Suburbia-for it's many parts, all sound good and fit together like chapters in a book, Holiday-For the great guitar, Boulevard of Broken Dreams-Great lyrics, Give Me Novacaine- A really cool sounding track, great lyrics and great drums (Tre Cool), St. Jimmy- Another alias of the so called 'Jesus of Suburbia' a great song about who you are (Jimmy's perspective of course) and Wake Me Up When September Ends, a beautiful song Billy Joe wrote about coping with the death of his father at the age of ten and how he feels during the month of September, a sad song loved by all for the catchy guitar intro and lyrics. These songs are the best of the best, all the other songs are great as well. What I love about this album is that it's just so real, there's not a bit of techno (which is a component of all the shitty bands out there today thank god Green Day never has and never will use it) also that I feel that Green Day, as they were working on this album, they were objective to the expectations of the people around them, they don't care if so many people have moved into a shit hole called pop, they're gonna bring them back to rock, and back to reality, because now all it is in rock (rock not really cause there are great bands out there today but some bring shame to the face of rock music as a whole) and pop is girls, girls, girls which is starting to bug me. And I love Green Day becaus ein that sense, it's the most refreshing thing in the industry today, even though theyre liek two decades old, no one can deny that. And if this album were stolen...I'd put up wanted posters for the thief, hire a hitman and then I'd buy a new one. If I lose it, I'll punch myself in the face then by a new one :). Guys, I know I'm weird but it's just such a great album and if you disagree no problem this is just how I see it. Thanks for reading.