American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

Green Day used to sound pretty average, but once they released this album, I thought they sounded more amazing than before. I'ts much better compared to their old school punk sound like the Dookie album. One thing I like about the album is that I can actually hear the guy sing and I can make out the words rather than just hear the guitar. I like the fact that the sound they portray is more of a soft, normal paced strumming, instead of a generic, fast paced, stale kind of strumming. I'ts pretty good in general.

I like how this album is actually an entire story broken up into different songs, but what I don't like is some of the individual lyrics. Some of the songs sound like they are rebelling against the government, and I'm not really a fan of that. It's like they want to send a threat to capitalistic countries. On the other hand, some of the songs sound nice, like "whatsername" and "boulevard of broken dreams" for example.

This album is definitely different from Green Day's other albums and it does have some more meaning into it, but the appearance and impression it gives could be a negative one. What I mean is that people may think this album (and the band) sound negative, but if you take the time to listen to the songs, they are not that bad. On a side note, I don't like how they compiled a bunch of musical fragments to make two really long, ten minute songs. It sounds like a bad idea. Overall, this album is quite alright.