American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

This is the first Green Day album I have ever owned. I bought this thinking that its going to be all the same f--k America thing but if you actually listen to it and look through the lyrics you discover a story behind it. The opening song American idiot probably the most well known song on this album is the main protest song of the album and has nothing to do with St Jimmy or the Jesus of suburbia. The majority of the songs follow the story of St Jimmy and the Jesus of suburbia starting off with the song Jesus of suburbia and ending with Homecoming(these are songs mentioning St jimmy or the Jesus of suburbia not the whole album). There are too 9 minute plus songs on here wich is a milestone it self. These guys changed there complete style in this album and moved toward pop punk/punk rock/alternative. I have to take a point off here for a lack of classy guitaring to me it really didn't show anything for me guitar wise.

The lyrics are basically protest protest protest! Riot riot riot!. The lyrics suit Green Days music style as always. Billie is a great singer I love is voice and it suits to the style. His songwriting skills have been recognized here with a Grammy for best rock album of the year.

This album is the beginning of the "new: Green Day, the whole point of this album was to get out of the shadow of Dookie. I personally like the songs St Jimmy and Homecoming because they are all very fast riot kind of songs I'm not a big fan of are we the waiting its all a bit to repeative for me. I love this album because it is a nice easy to listen to album, the only thing I don't like is that instrument wise it wasn't that much of a break through for them but this is coming form a metalhead. If it were stolen or lost I would buy it again because I like to collect Green Day's albums and also because all in all its a great album.