American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

Green Day has definitely tried more that just style of music of music since they released their breakthrough record "Dookie" back in 1994. "Dookie" was, in my opinion, their most punk sounding record. 1997's "Nimrod" trailed three years behind Dookie and was also a major hit, carrying the same punk sound that Dookie had to offer. Then GD released "Warning" in '01 and "Shenanigans" in '03, both of which carried a pop rock kind of sound. Then Green Day began work on a new album called "Cigarettes And Valentines". They we're almost done with it too, when some dude stole the master tracks. So instead of re-recording everything, the decided to spend the next few months writing new material. All this came together as and album called "American Idiot", which is a mix of punk, rock, and pop.

This is a Rock Opera, so here's the story: 01. "American Idiot": This song is about the main character, Jesus of Suburbia (no religious meaning whatsoever), crying out about basically how his life sucks, saying he doesn't wanna be an "American Idiot". 02. "Jesus Of Suburbia": More about JOS. 03. "Holiday": He's gone. JOS left home without a care in the world. He's living on the streets and everything is AWESOME. This songs was also about rage against the Government. 04. "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams": Wait a second. This isn't at all what JOS thought it would be. He's all alone. 05. "Are We The Waiting": JOS, crying out for somebody... Anybody. 06. "St.Jimmy": We are introduced to St. Jimmy, the leader of his gang. He finds JOS and takes him under his wing as one of his own. 07. "Give Me Novacaine": Jimmy and JOS do drugs, or it could possibly be JOS asking Jimmy what will help with the pain in his life. 08. "She's A Reble": JOS finds this girl and they fall in love. Her name is what'sername. 09. "Extraordinary Girl": More about WHN. 10. "Letterbomb": WHN can't take it anymore and leaves town, never to return. JOS is TICKED. 11. "Wake Me Up When September Ends": JOS is alone again. He decides to go back home. This is also a memorial to Billie Joe's father, who dies in September when he was 8. 12. "Homecoming": St. Jimmy kills himself (not sure why...) and JOS leaves for home. 13. "What'sername": JOS has been home for quite some time and remembers what'sername. He looks back on all his experiences. The album ends with the words, "Forgetting you but not the time." BONUS TRACKS ON DELUXE EDITION: 14. "Shoplifter": About stealing stuff. 15. "Governator": More rage against the Government.

Overall, this is one of the best albums I own. It's really interesting to listen to it as a piece, as well as one song at a time. This is DEFINITELY some of GD's best work. Like I said, it's a rock opera, and it's also about how Americans can be... Well... Idiots at times. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED ALBUM!

hiya77
    All I can say about Green Day is there are 3 true American Punk bands... and they ain't one of them. Dead Kennedys, The Ramones And The Heartbreakers. The rest have a good Punk Attitude (Blondie etc) but were not interested in a Genre. The fact that Green Day Want to be part of a Genre that they were to young to be part of shows they are F***ing Wannabies!!! My Advise is listen to original Punk music 1977 Stuff. And never name a Genre! Genres are Meaningless!! What does Indie mean now? Pop bands that aren't Popular!!!