Awesome As F**k review by Green Day

• Released: Mar 22, 2011
Green Day: Awesome As F**k

Awesome as F**k captures what Green Day does live pretty well, and it's impressive that their 20 year-old punk songs can stand up so well next to their 2 year-old pop songs. If you're a big Green Day fan, you probably have Bullet in a Bible, so you've already heard some of these songs. The recordings of American Idiot, Holiday and Jesus of Suburbia are nearly identical to their previous live versions. Their new song "Cigarettes and Valentines" is great, and really adds something to the album so that you feel like you're getting some new material along with the classics.

Billie Joe's back and just as good as ever. He mixes in his crowd-rallying yelps in with his singing, and it works well, but he lets the crowd sing whole verses a little too often (he lets them take the whole first verse of American Idiot). "Cigarettes and Valentines" stands out with catchy new verses which will be stuck in your head for days.

It's not the greatest live album in the world, but Awesome as F**k is a smart move from the Green Day camp. I didn't want to be buying Bullet in a Bible again, nor did I want to buy a live version of 21st Century Breakdown. Instead, you get a fun mix that isn't 2st Century Breakdown-heavy, and it revives some Green Day classics that still sound great. If you don't over-think Green Day's changes in styles and looks over the years, you'll have fun with Awesome as F**k. The live DVD is rather forgettable, especially if you already saw Green Day on their most recent tour, and feels a little slapped-together, seeing as the DVD isn't even the full concert. Overall, Awesome as F**k produces some memorable live recordings that we might not have otherwise heard, and some that we've already heard before, to create a really great package.

f-cusson
    thesacredeath
    i hate greenday all around, their as bad as falloutboy and all those talentless bands that make 6th and 7th graders scream. waste of an review,cause no one cared in the first place
    Liverkanuckkid
    BenBroMusic wrote: Im so glad they released another live album, i had listened to bullet in a bible so much i even knew what kind of cheers from the crowd were going to happen. I cant help but think you dont know much about some music if you think green day are sellouts, you cant write the same music forever without boring fans or yourselves, gotta change the mood sometimes folks!
    Im the same as you i know everything in and about BIAB but now that AAF is out it doesn't seem as massive but i still love it because of the full on variety from Smoothed Out Slappy to 21st
    PatheticMutt182
    Honestly, American Idiot was fine. The last album was god awful, but the fact that this album contains songs from the 924 Gilman days makes me wanna listen. Sure, it's unfortunate that Billie Joe doesn't play guitar anymore and dresses like an aging drag queen, but still gotta respect Green Day's contributions to the genre BEFORE they became "mainstream." Like you know, REVIVING it in the 90's?
    jonschellenberg
    f-cusson wrote: cyanide02 wrote: I really miss the days when I could read any webpage on the internet without having to find Justin Bieber's name written somewhere. +1
    pkgk24
    i am going to have to disagree. if you are a greenday fan u will absolutly love this but if u are not a longtime fan, i doubt this it the album for you. its like alot of live albums,they are for the long term fans
    TheHawkdaddy
    Green Day where never punk, they were on the cover of tiger beat for gods sakes. Go listen to Husker Du.
    ChiliMyAss
    Punk has a culture that goes hand in hand with the music. You can't call your music punk if you're not part of the culture or live that type of lifestyle. As long they don't keep calling themselves a punk band (because they CLEARLY aren't anymore) then I'm fine with these guys. Let them write their mainstream music. Let them mature. And this is coming from a guy who's first CD was Dookie.
    WCPhils
    HiMyNamesJeremy wrote: reviewing green day on ultimate guitar is like promoting jesus in a satanic church, no matter how hard you try, you'll never convince them to even have mutual respect. I like everything Green Day has done. I honestly love the last two records, i like the 9 minute length songs with the different parts, i believe that to be creative. and i have no problem with anybody elses opinions, to each their own, but i do have a problem with the one thing the review said: "Similar to most early 2000s' fetishes, Green Day has slowly deteriorated over the years." To me, that is just pure ignorance, if anything they have grown this last decade and they haven't faded at all. The people who are their fans now will be their fans forever. you either like them or you don't regardless of which regard it is that you're into.
    This!
    Ibanezbass4life
    reignofrock wrote: They used to be so good... It's sad to see them sink into mediocrity.
    agreed, anything before American Idiot was good!
    Karabiner07
    they llok unmotivated just 'cause the crowd wasn't from Argentina, i swear to you if you had seen that country jump and scream, omg...
    SilverSpurs616
    Warning: the first 20 seconds of buzz from overly excited fans may turn you off completely
    As if this opening line didn't already put me off.
    SecondCivilWar
    Shawn1379 wrote: RC52190 wrote: cyanide02 wrote: I really miss the days when I could read any webpage on the internet without having to find Justin Bieber's name written somewhere. ----- Too bad no one said anything about him until you posted a comment @RC52190 Justin Bieber is mentioned within the first five lines of the review...
    You get gold stars for pointing this out to him. As many as you want!
    carsnguitars92
    I thought it was another fantastic live album from Green Day. I saw them last year on this tour in Seoul, Korea. Fantastic atmosphere and the sounds made during the CD REALLY do reflect how the concert sounded. I'd see them again tomorrow and I love the addition of old songs like "Burnout" and "When I Come Around."
    captainperoxide
    Root Beer wrote: They released a live album called "Awesome as Fuck"? Sounds like they're a little desperate AND full of themselves...
    You wouldn't say that if you knew where the title came from. It's basically a massive thank you to their fans. Check out videos of Good Riddance from the Denver show in August 2010.
    Aric666
    The only time i ever listened to green day of my own accord was when i was beginning to learn how to play guitar. Because their songs are that simple.
    tai1221
    thePTOD wrote: If this came out 5 years ago, I would've loved it. Now, not so much. I used to be so into Green Day, but I've since moved on to better, more technical music. I've watched so many of their live performances on youtube, and over the last few years, Billie Joe doesn't even play guitar anymore! He just stands and sings while Jason plays the guitar and gets next to no credit. Mike's the only guy in the band I like anymore. Billie Joe's so contradictory, as good as AI was, it's 'eff the system, be a punk' message was drowned in its own commercialism. Now Green Day, or just Billie Joe, seem to be milking their punk image for even more money. It's not that I hate them, I just don't respect them or take them seriously anymore. Awesome As F**k is a live album name I'd expect from a a 13 year old who's been playing guitar for 2 weeks, although he probably has the same amount of talent as Billie Joe.
    Just because one song or band might be more technical than another, does not make it better in fact. Only in your own opinion sir. I wish they would have put the medley from Chula Vista on the album, then maybe you wouldn't think he is so talentless. There was a lot of improv stuff that night that was pretty sweet. Anyway, my opinion.
    Viselpunk
    I can't believe what i've just read, this people of ultimate-guitar.com knows something about music? knows something about rock? if this is a joke please let us know... GREEN DAY is the greatest band of the world, a LEGEND OF PUNK ROCK MUSIC so the stupid ass that wrote that review should be kicked of his job cause he doesn't know a shit about good music, seriously dude start learning something about rock cause you SUCK, the DVD is awesome LIKE THE TITLE every second is a lesson for losers like you, so i salute you and i say FUCK YOUR REVIEW
    jestsumguy
    I went to the show in Dallas last year. I hated it. My first Green Day concert. Man. I don't like them any more. They used to be one of my favorite bands. Fucking Billie Joe.
    Escape2.0
    ^This. We're talking about green day here. it's kinda insulting to hear justin beiber mentioned in the same paragraph.
    cyanide02
    Symphonica
    darklight91
    I agree with everyone else who said this was a bad review. Green Day will live on as Punk Rock legends for the rest of time!
    Ironpriest
    Funny, Green Day worship Husker Du... The band never EVER EVER said they were punk, can't you kids just grow up and accept that this band has released a live album, if you like it, so be it. I f you don't, go listen to a band you enjoy!
    Ruzaldeen
    the best part of it when good riddance starts. that is a one hell of a song. still standing tall after 12 years it is released
    fee.young
    I loved this album Mainly because it mixes their old stuff with the more recent stuff. TO WHOEVER WROTE THE FIRST REVIEW! why would you go to the trouble of reviewing a band you clearly hate- W.T.F. I loved this CD
    roland_96
    Muse=Rock wrote: I respect that opinion and i can see what you're saying. However i disagree with labelling them a 'pop' band but hey, getting into a genre debate is silly You're right though, people can choose which albums or eras of bands they like. Their choice. I just happen to love all of Green Day's material!
    Jimmyboba
    All Green Day is good in my opinion. Sure, they've changed a lot, but thats what happen when bands get older. It's happened with Metallica, it's happened to Maiden, it's YET to happen to Axl Rose (I refuse to acknowledge the shambles of an act that he call's "Guns N Roses" as a band instead of a front for his ego. Wish i had been around for the actual GNR) but I think Green Day is just one of those bands you either love, or hate. A lot of people have grown up with them (whether it be in the 90's or today) and anyway: Aren't live albums more for fans of the band anyway? I'm just rambling now.
    Bag'ed
    Its been repeated over and over, but I've got a bit of spare change on my and feel like giving my 2 cents worth away.. I dig old Greenday, I don't like the new stuff. Therefore, I listen to old Greenday, and don't listen to the new stuff.
    rhn94
    + the whole internet
    spider_rotation
    milwaukeerocker wrote: ^This is just another opinion, but i think people are referring to the fact that these last two albums have been so over inflated it's just become annoying. Some of the songs are ok. It's obvious that these two albums are incredibly over-produced. I was 14 when i heard Dookie for the first time and thought the album in it's entirety was fantastic. The lyrics were more witty, the chord progressions more catchy. Now they have another guitar player, and they all wear make-up and a gallon of product in their hair! And it's just hard to believe that they really stand by some of the things they write and sing about anymore! They're all millionaires with families, they have no reason to be angst-ridden punks anymore. There's nothing wrong with being or liking a pop band, which is all they are anymore.
    The problem with this is that you sound like their fans who were fans prior to you... Dookie became the big "overproduced sell-out album." They become big, a whole new generation likes them, and suddenly people turn against them yet again. I admit that 21st Century Breakdown was a disappointment, especially coming off the high of American Idiot which I thought was an excellent album, especially the songs that had four or five parts to it. Their chord progressions became somewhat more "standard," but there were little surprises in "Holiday," "Boulevard of Broken Dreams," and "St. Jimmy" sneak in some interesting chord changes that manage to surprise you. Everyone grows up and tries doing something else... I don't think they're trying to pass off as "angst-ridden punks"... nor do I think they ever did. But even as adults, people have things to speak up about. And I think they pulled it off nicely.
    Private Eye
    I grew up on these guys. they were my favorite band from about ages 11-15 and they were my first concert in 2002. They started losing me with American Idiot, but I thought it was at least decent. They lost me a little more on 21st CB, with the exception of a few songs (Murder City, Peacemaker...). I'll probably give this a listen since it has some of the older songs on it, but I won't be expecting too much.
    Muse=Rock
    I'm confused as to why people are so adamant about American Idiot and 21st century breakdown being albums that 'shouldn't be listened to' or that they suck. Green Day's sound has changed, but isn't that what all successful bands do? As they mature their sound progresses as well. You don't have to like the new sound granted, but there's nothing wrong with others enjoying it. A bit more on topic, Awesome as F*ck looks... well Awesome as F*ck!!
    RUSTDOGG666
    Whoever wrote this review of the album needs to shut up. Especially comparing Green Day to Justin Bieber. Of course the crowd is going to respond like Green Day is number 1 and king because they are. Justin uses that recorded crowd sounds to make himself sound like king cause he knows he can't do better than Green Day and never will. Green Day is Awesome As F**K and the record is Awesome As F**K. I give it a 10.
    bassthunder
    I like how the first paragraph of the review has pretty much nothing but negative statements, and yet they still gave it a 7. TO ALL REVIEWERS: MAKE YOUR COMMENTS MATCH YOUR SCORE. THERE ARE NUMBERS BELOW 7 OUT THERE.
    SumotuStorm
    I still think Green Day is an awesome band. Trying to rap on them for becoming slightly mainstream is just retarded(and yes, they aren't mainstream anymore, that job was taken by a little douchebag with no balls). and what have they 'deteriorated' to exactly? More fans and popularity? That's deterioration? So the minute my own band gets a world tour and has groupies in every ****ing country is the minute we deteriorate? Yeah, I love that reasoning (
    infestedscars
    There still good but evolved i guess,i still love greenday even after ''selling out''...but then again,most of you with day jobs would have,given the chance...
    Symphonica wrote: This definitely sounds like it deserves a spin. I was raised on Green Day, and I received Bullet in a Bible for Christmas when it came out, and it was rather kick ass seeing them before the American Idiot tour even started and then once more on the tour. While they seem to be selling it a more mainstream audience, fans will never be able to get over how awesome all of their music was. Anyone that's ever been to one of their concerts knows what a crazy energy they have. It's just unforgettable.
    HiMyNamesJeremy
    zalant
    I know I'm in the minority here, but I'll say that I think Green Day's writing is, in many ways, better these days than on the early records. At the very least, is far more consistent. I find myself skipping tracks on the older records, but hardly ever on the last two. Maybe it's the better production that's to blame, but the peaks and valleys in song quality just don't seem to be there on the newer stuff (which is good). Also, I'm gonna throw it out there that while punk may have started out as rebellion music related to one's political leanings and wealth status, it has since evolved into more of a state of mind. So BJ and crew has made money from the corporate record business. Good on them! Anyone in this country has those same opportunities and should not avoid secure financial standing just so that you can say you're still a punker. Green Day live is where it's at.
    CrazyPigeon
    I saw them twice on 21CB Tour; I was one of the screaming fanboys on the first track .