Bullet In A Bible [DVD] review by Green Day

• Released: Nov 15, 2005
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 8
Green Day: Bullet In A Bible [DVD]

Essentially being a three-piece band, Green Day need to make big sounds to accomplish the type of music they want to play. They do that extremely well, with the help of their additional guitarist and various other instrument-players (Jason White, Jason Freese and Ronnie Blake). This allows Billie-Joe Armstrong to run around the stage, pleasing both the audience watching the concert in person and the viewers of the DVD. This DVD was made in 2005, on the Green Day World Tour, and was filmed at the National Bowl in Milton Keynes, a venue with a capacity of 65,000. The whole point of the concert was to have, as stated by Mike Dirnt on the DVD "the biggest Green Day concert ever", which they, in my opinion, achieved. Obviously, the musical style and genre of Green Day is no-nonsense punk rock, which was displayed to amazing effect in this DVD, both by Billie-Joe, Mike and Tre Cool's emphatic and aggressive playing style, and by the fast paced camera action and even the band's outfits.

Content — 9
As well as featuring a full-length 2 hour concert, the DVD features an interview with each member of the band, which is shown in between their songs. Also included is an audio CD of the concert, with some of the talking and crowd interaction during songs cut out of the middle to save time. I am very satisfied with this setlist, as it combines both old and new Green Day material. It also introduced me to the older songs, as all I had heard until this DVD was released was American Idiot, and thanks to this DVD, I also purchased the CD "Dookie" because quite a few of the songs on that album are on this DVD. As far as I know, this DVD hasn't got any hidden features, but then again, I'm not very good at finding stuff like that on DVDs, so it may have for all I know!

Production Quality — 8
The production of this DVD is very high quality, as is shown throughout the whole concert and the interviews in between. The camera crew do their jobs extremely well, focusing on just about every angle that would be desired at a Green Day concert. There are many close-ups of Billie-Joe's face, and in particular his mouth, as he sings, especially on the track "Jesus of Suburbia", which allow the viewer to see the emotion he puts into all of his performances. During the interviews, there are also a lot of close-up shots of both Billie-Joe and Mike Dirnt. It does get quite irritating that the picture constantly switches from colour to black and white, but that is my only criticism.

This is the only live DVD i own, but I have watched a few more, including the MUSE HAARP DVD from Wembley. Obviously nothing on performance scale can compare to MUSE, but Green Day come pretty close for the entertainment value. The most impressive thing on this DVD is purely the music and being able to see probably one of the best Green Day concerts ever. I love nearly everything about this DVD, the pure punk music on it, and the amazing performance and crowd interaction given by Billie-Joe and the other members of the band. There isn't anything that i HATE, but i would have to say the constant black and white back to colour is my least favourite thing about it. If it were stolen or lost, then I would definitely buy this DVD again, as I watch it whenever I am bored or need something to watch, just sitting doing nothing.

Msu_Man04
    Firebird84 wrote: what a faggot ass band! The Billy is sooo small. With a head shaped like a ****in' unitard. DUUUUDDE! Oh yeah and music ****in' sucks. 3 chords and let's go....
    So what if a song has three chords? Hell, who cares if it only has TWO? Great music is great music. Pull your head out of your ass.
    Ben84
    rollingstones wrote: green day sucks im sorry but someone had to tell you guys the truth. if you want to listen to a good band start listening to like black sabbath
    thats ur opinion, and 90% of people hear disagree with you green day have been making kick ass music for 20 years now and although black sabbath are awesome too I prefer listening to Green Day.
    tbarrettl
    HughF wrote: The only reason the public doesn't think Green Day is punk anymore is because American Idiot was a huge success.
    True that though that also applies to "punk" legends like The Ramones and The Clash who are great bands and very influential though they were and are very successful and for a good reason.
    Greendaypunkit
    bombruno wrote: rollingstones : green day sucks im sorry but someone had to tell you guys the truth. if you want to listen to a good band start listening to like black sabbath everyone knows black sabbath is good if u watch a green day interview u will find out that the first song they played live was Crazy Train
    if you hate Green Day so much, why were you on their album reviews, and why did u watch one of their interviews? also, i like Black Sabbath. obv not as much but i dont get why you are assuming Green day fans don't listen to stuff like Black Sabbath aswell.
    Firebird84
    xcmasta91
    green day puts on one hell of a show and for all the people complaining that people saying crap about green day it doesnt matter if someone says crap about them big deal. everyone has different opinions on things