Bullet In The Bible review by Green Day

• Released: Nov 15, 2005
Green Day: Bullet In The Bible

This is Green Day's first album and the only album to feature their founding drummer John Kiftmeyer (A.K.A Al Sobrante).This album was released not long after they had changed their name from Sweet Children to Green Day. As Green Day probably didn't have a huge budget to record this album, the sound quality isn't as great as their albums from Dookie onwards, but the quality of the songs make up for it. This album is one of the very few Green Day albums that Billie Joe really shows his real guitar-playing ability. The overall style of his guitar playing is a lot different from how he plays now. Overall despite the lack of sound quality, I would always choose to listen to this over American Idiot. The bass isn't bad on this either, with some pretty interesting bass lines, fills and riffs thrown in by Mike. Although John's drumming skills are pretty good, the drumming patterns are much the same throughout the whole album.

The lyrics are pretty good on this album, but they aren't as good as lyrics on more recent albums like American Idiot and Warning etc. Most of the songs are about girls (or a particular girl), drugs and growing up (but mainly girls). The singing seems pretty up to scratch and the backing vocals sound OK as well. You can obviously tell that they were a lot younger when they recorded this than they are now. If you haven't been listening to Green Day for long, you wouldn't recognise his voice if you listen to mainly newer stuff.

This is probably one of my favourite Green Day albums, I much prefer it to American Idiot. The best tracks are 'At The Library', 'Disappearing Boy', '1000 Hours' and 'Only Of You'. I love the guitar playing on this album, the solos are great and the way he plays a lot of open strings over power chords create a great and unique sound. The one thing I don't like about this is the sound quality and the lack of volume when you play the CD. Apart from that, great album.