Dookie review by Green Day

• Released: Feb 1, 1994
Green Day: Dookie

The music is not great, its certainly good but not on par with the Clash, but of course not a lot of music is. It definitely gets the job done, and fits perfecly with the singing. As far as innovations go, they are few and far between, but the music comes together perfectly. The overall sound is excellent, with riffs that will get stuck in your head, and make you wonder "how'd he come up with that."

The lyrics are Dookie's strongest point, they definitly make the whole CD fit together. Its nearly impossible to understand Billie Joe the first few times through this CD, but its a good thing, as it adds a lot of depth to the music. There are also an impossible amount of hooks laced throughout the CD, props to Billie Joe's songwriting.

Comparing Dookie to great CD's by artists such as the Clash, Sex Pistols, Ramones and The Velvet Underground, im not sure if Dookie is quite there, but it is definitly close, which is saying quite a bit. Now comparing it to more contemporary artists such as Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, New Found Glory, Thursday, The Starting Line and Brand New, Dookie is simply a masterpiece (I know thats going to get a lot of people mad, but its the truth). Where all of the other post-punk artists fall short, Dookie does not. There is no incessant whining about girl problems, no boring riffs, none of the things that bring newer artists down. What Green Day did is they took from the great bands (mentioned above) and tried to build on that, and it worked to great sucess for them. This is something that newer bands have not done, tried to learn from the masters of punk rock, and that is why they have failed (in my opinion). I am not going to discuss what songs I love/hate and what I love/hate about the album it self, because there is much to like and very little to hate. If you do not own Dookie, I strongly suggest that you buy it, you won't be dissapointed, and yes, if it was lost I would buy it again, but I'm going to keep it and save myself from the trouble.