Dookie review by Green Day

• Released: Feb 1, 1994
Green Day: Dookie

Raw, grungy, and punk. Only these words can describe Green Day's landmark album Dookie. After two albums with an independent label they signed with Reprise and called in producer Rob Cavallo to make 14 songs the band had been playing for a while become an album.There are no extreme innovations in this album just simple punk music.

The lyrics are all written by Billie Joe except "Emenius Sleep", written by Mike Dirnt. The lyrics talk about average teenage life and rebellion. Some short excerpts are," I declare I don't care no more","Are you locked up in a world that's been planned out for you" and, "Secrets collecting dust but never forget". The lyrics fit the sound of each song. When the lyrics are angry the music is shrieking anger. The album is sung by Billie Joe. He's got a good voice but it does get old after a while.

This is one of Green Day's best and rawest albums. The best songs are "Burnout", "She","When I Come Around", and "Welcome To Paradise". I love the power and uncut and unclean sound of the album. Although they're easy songs to play with 3 chords it doesn't matter from a listener's standpoint. There's not much I don't like but when you get late in the album the songs start to sound the same a bit. If it were stolen or lost I'd for sure buy another copy.