Dookie review by Green Day

• Released: Feb 1, 1994
Green Day: Dookie

Well this album's something of a legend. I mean, wether you like them or hate them you pretty much have to know this album don't you? Most of Green Day's best ever songs come from here. Basketcase, When I Come Around, She et al, they all come from here. This album has probably infuenced basically every band on Scuzz today; this whole brand of Pop Punk has pretty much all stemmed from here. So what's it all about? This album has a very punky sound, doubled with america's own unique rock sound. Not disimilar to The Ramones, but there's more of a dissatisfied whine to Billie Joe's suinging than Joey Ramone, there's more of a sense of rebellion here. These are young punks, singing about being young punks. The guitaring is pretty simplistic, three/four chord stuff, but Billie Joe is a far better song writer to leave it basically at that. These really do work. They do, it's simple but my goodness is it effective. The bass work's not too shabby either, there's some wicked little riffs, not least Longview, with a famous bassline at the intro. The drumming's pretty awesome too, a lot more complicated than most punk up to this point.

Billie Joe is a brilliant song writer, first and foremost, make no mistake. His whiney, angry lyrics deal with what I can imagine were everyday problems. 'Longview' deals with boredom, drugs and masturbation, a scene I'm sure lots of people can relate to. 'Welcome To Paradise' is a complain at the shabby town Green Day find themselves in, but also how they affectionately view it as home. I cold go on, I really could. Whilst the lyrics are god, the singing is just as good. Billie Joe has a good voice, he proves this in 'F.O.D' that he's not just a punk singer; he has a great voice and can also rock out and complain with the best of them.

This album will grow on you, make no mistake. At first, this may wash over you. But listen to it a couple of times and it will sink in. And you may find yourself thinking: 'That is very good.' The entire album tracks are good, the hits though are clear to spot. 'Basketcase' is perhaps the pick of the bunch, though every track is just as important and as amazing really. But iadvise you to keep an eye out for the hidden track after F.O.D, it's quite funny.