Dookie review by Green Day

• Released: Feb 1, 1994
Green Day: Dookie

Dookie was Green Day's first record on a major label. It is much better lyrically and musically in comparison to their previous independent label efforts 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours and Kerplunk, although both noteably great albums. Dookie is stuffed full of power chords, fast drumming, and catchy, pop/punk riffs. Most of the songs on this record have a certain meaning or incentive for writing at the time, whereas two or three sound like they were last-minute additions made to fill space.

01. Burnout - an ode to lazyness, wasted youth, and marijuana.A great song overall. 02. Having A Blast - this song is just about every misfit's fantasy. Or it could also be about a car bomber. With lyrics like"explosives duct taped to my spine" and "I won't listen to anyone's last words", well, this one was destined to be a classic. 03. Chump - remember those "last minute additions" I spoke of above? I believe this was one of them.It's probably about a cheating girlfriend or paranoid boyfriend. 04. Longview - an amazingly simple anthem for bored outcasts. With a humorous outlook on things like weed, boredom, maturbation and an innovative bass riff and classic chorus, who couldn't fall in love at first listen? 05. Welcome To Paradise - a story about a scared kid fresh out of his or her parents'home.Almost every grown person can relate to this song. 06. Pulling Teeth - you hear about husbands beating and holding their wives captive, but you never hear it told the other way around. Green Day's lead singer and guitarist Billie Joe spoke of just that in this kinky two and a half minute ditty. You can also hear songs like this on Kerplunk and Warning. 07. Basket Case - one of the side-effects of marijuana is panic attacks. And Green Day were a spaced out bunch. Both Mike (bassist) and Billie experienced frequent episodes and one of Green Day's most famous songs sparked from this problem. The lyrics revolve around paranoia and hallucination and the music loud and trhrashy, but it is mellow at the same time and keeps a consistent rythym throughout. One of their best songs. 08. She - I couldn't tell you what this song is about. Maybe trying to fit in to society, possibly failure or being looked down upon. Whatever the case, the music and singing are great and this is another one on my favorites list. 09. Sassafras Roots - another "fill the space" song I think. The lyrics are quite redundant, but don't get me wrong, repetitive is good in some cases, but this song's lyrics don't do it for me.The music is good, but there's nothing special about this one. 10. When I Come Around - the concert: Woodstock. Although I'm sure their stage antics at this festival had a big hand in making them popular (Google "Mudstock", you'll know what I'm talking about), their performance of this song provided just the push up the charts they needed.As simple as it is, the riff in this song is one of the most recognizeable. 11. Coming Clean - this is Billie Joe's way of saying he may be bi-sexual. In this short story he expresses his confusion and how his parents and peers would take it. The music is catchy and the lyrics are good. 12. Emenius Sleepus - this is a loud and short song Mike wrote.The lyrics are quite good and the verses and chorus complement each other very well. 13. In The End - a song similar in lyrics and music to the previous track. It has some humor thrown in places and is fun listening. 14. F.O.D. - the angriest song on the record and possibly my favorite. This one starts with an acoustic background to some great lyrics. It's very quiet until it damn near gives you a heart attack! It's a great ending to a fantastic album. 15. All By Myself - this is a bonus track possibly performed by the drummer, Tre. It is about being lonely and masturbating. From the way it sounds there was probably weed involved in the making of this track. It's a pretty funny acoustic song.

This album got me interested in other punk bands. I would compare the sound on this album to Blink 182's Dude Ranch and Good Charlotte's The Young and the Hopeless. The best songs from this record are "Burnout", "Longview", "Basket Case", "When I Come Around", and "F.O.D." There are songs on the album I don't especially like, but there is nothing I hate. I would buy this again if it were lost.