Dookie review by Green Day

• Released: Feb 1, 1994
Green Day: Dookie

Ahhh vintage Green Day! You rewind back to the early '90s and the two albums that spring to mind as Rock classics are Nevermind and Dookie, and even today Dookie does not lose it's effect. Though Billie Joe may not be the most technical guitarist out there, he can certainly write a catchy guitar riff, the guitar tone itself is instantly recogniseable, and both Mike and Tre are at the top of their games here, Mike may not be a musical genius but when it comes to writing great bass interludes in a pop-punk song, he is the best! And Tre, though nobody is claiming he is Neil Peart or Danny Carey, the man can drum and his style suits Green Day's music! The great thing about this album is that it's not entirely serious, in fact there is a lot of satire inherent in Dookie, unlike today's music scene where almost every band is self-pitying and whiney, this band has a whacky sense of humour and a style of their own. In songs like Longview, Welcome to Paradise, Burnout, and Basket Case there is very little hint of seriousness even when the topics are extremely serious in themselves! Although they did get a lot of flac in their hometown for "selling out" there is no denying that Green Day made their mark on music. This album isn't a masterpiece, it's a straight rock album through and through, there is very little musical genius, but there doesn't need to be!

As mentioned above, if you're looking for serious lyrics this isn't the album for you! The fun-sounding music is backed up perfectly with the hilarious lyrics, I mean seriously what kind of emo band comes out with lyrics like "when masturbation's lost it's fun, you're f--king lazy!" even on Basket Case which is about paranoid schizophrenia, Billie Joe doesn't waste time going into the head of a mentally unstable person, he just makes fun of it! This isn't a mature album, but it's not supposed to be either! It's almost childish at times. Billie Joe's voice is distinct, once you hear him, you know who it is, he's not Maynard James Keenan or Mike Patton for example, but he does well with what vocal talent he has, and that's enough for any singer!

I would like to point out that although I'm praising this album I am by no means a complete Green Day fanatic, in fact my favourite bands would be the likes of Mr. Bungle, Tool, Pink Floyd, Opeth and King Crimson, I can see the effect this album has had on music, it may not innovate, but it makes the listener laugh throughout, it's a fun album to listen to, and I was once in a band who covered a lot of early Green Day and it's really fun playing these songs onstage! If you're expecting a really technical album with serious lyrics, you're not going to enjoy this album, but if you like listening to music that brightens an otherwise crappy day Dookie is the album for you!