Insomniac review by Green Day

• Released: Oct 9, 1995
Green Day: Insomniac

As far as sound goes, perhaps Insomniac wasn't the most diverse album of Green Day's, but definately the darkest and most expressive. The guitar is fast, loud, and full of power chords, in their usual style, and Billie Joe's vocals seem angrier than ever. Of course, and as always, the rest of the band contributes well, but Armstrong really seems to - if you want to call it this - shine on Insomniac. Despite the heavy dependance on power chords and signature pseudopunk tempos, the sound of Insomniac is strong, mean, and, well, loud.

The lyrics on Insomniac are probably what make it my favorite album of all time. All the songs are full of anger and a general hate for everything, but each on a different level. For example, in "Brat", Billie Joe goes on about not having enough money, and waiting for his parents to die so he can inherit theirs. Regardless of the song, the disses fly every which way, but for every one aimed at an ex-girlfriend ("Stuart and the Ave), selling out (Walking Contradiction), and for the world in general (anything from Tight Wad Hill to Panic Song), BJ aims four or five at himself. The lyrics of some of the tracks, on the surface, are somewhat humorous, but mixed with black sarcasm, deep self-hatred and general disregard make it by far the darkest album by Green Day, even ten years after the release.

I've never been one to give one member of a band all the credit for a song/album/whatever, but I really have to hand it to Billie Joe for this masterpiece. Like I said, it is my favorite album of all time, and without the intense guitar, bitchy vocals (not intended as an insult, heh heh), and backhanded, acidic lyrics, Insomniac wouldn't exist. If I had to pick something that I hated, it would be the over-use of simple chord progressions (I would have picked 4.5 for sound if I could have). I think Green Day are better than that, and they've proved it on other albums. As for it's worth, if I lost it (which I did last week), I might die, and then I would definately go buy it again. Worth every penny. My absolute favorite song on the album (and just favorite song in general) is Tight Wad Hill (mostly 'cause of lyrics), but I like them all, which is something I can't say for many others. This album made Green Day my favorite band, so if you even remotely like them, or 90's pseudo punk.