Insomniac review by Green Day

• Released: Oct 9, 1995
Green Day: Insomniac

This album is tough stuff. It's the darkest album that Green Day ever put out, and this is conveyed by the high-gain, gritty distortion of Billie Joe Armstrong's Fernandes Stratocaster. Every chord sound furious and punches through with wicked clarity, making songs like "86" and "Stuck With Me" pure pleasure to listen to. The bass lines are incredible, too. Mike Dirnt's underated abilities are let loose on this album with perfect bass lines. The combination of Tre's drumming, Mike's bass, and Billie Joe's obnoxiously punk riffs make this aspect of the CD nearly unbeatable. In this aspect, I believe Insomniac is some of Green Day's best material to date. Any fans of punk/alternative WILL like what this album sounds like.

If the album cover, titled "God told me to skin you alive," didn't give you an idea, than the lyrics will. Every song paints the perfect picture of a stoner's living nightmares, conveying the raw emotions of any non-comformists with songs like "Walking Contradiction" and "Stuck With Me," and spilling the guts of punks and rebels in "86", "Jaded", "Bab's Uvula Who?", and "Stuart and the Avenue". Billie Joe's lyics here are perfect for the album. Though, sometimes, he could be hard to understand, making it hard for many people to enjoy. This however can be do the stress of taking care of his kid combined with the lack of sleep, which gave this album it's name. Overall, Billie Joe Armstrong has developed as a singer on this album.

It can be argued that this is the best Green Day album, depending on your mood or your point of view. I like to rock out to this song when things are getting on my nerves. If someone tried to steel this from me, I'd kick 'em in the nuts, then let him listen to it, 'cause no one should live without hearing at least one song from this album. I love the darkness in this album, and I hate that I love it so much.