Insomniac review by Green Day

• Released: Oct 9, 1995
Green Day: Insomniac

Well, there's not much to say about the sound of the album. If you like "Dookie" you'll like "Insomniac". It's an album that's full of fury, alienation and those "FOD" moments. The sound is mutch darker and a bit faster than on "Dookie" so I could say that it's Punk-rock. Overall, I've always considered Green Day a pop-punk band; though "Insomniac" is a punk-rock album, and "AI" and "21CB" are Arena rock with a hmmm... How should I put it... Punk(y) feeling added to it. Songs like "Geek Stink Breath", "Brain Stew" and "Jaded" had a really big effect on me. They're just so... Big (if you know what I mean). I f--king love listening to them on my headphones cause I kinda feel like my ears are getting "crushed". On the other hand, there are songs like "Walking Contradiction" and "Stuck With Me" that could easily fit into "Dookie"'s concept if they were a bit more brighter and "poppier".

In my opinion, this is where Green Day really shines. It's like fusing Bob Dylan who has like the best lyrics ever and The Ramones with their cartoonish-street kid feel. Compliance of the lyrics with the music is excellent. The lyrics give music even angrier (did I spell that right? XD) and grittier sound. As for the singing - Billie Joe sneers a bit more than on any of their records but it's really fine with me cause it really fits in well with the concept of the album. There's not much I can say about the lyrics. They're just perfect. Just listen to the album and hear it yourself.

How does it compare with other similar artists? Mother f--king great! There's no way in hell that you could compare bands like Sum 41, Blink-182, MCR, New Found Glory, Good Charlotte etc. To Green Day. The lyrics are just way more complex and... Better than any of these band ever had. While Blink sings about how they're gonna hold they're girlfriends hands, fall in love or not listen to their parents Green Day sings about rage, confusion and drugs. Sure, Billie Joe does write about girls, but he does it in a stranger way where love is a f--ked up thing. Most impressive songs? Hmm. "Geek Stink Breath", "Stuck With Me", "Brain Stew", "Jaded", "86", "Westbound Sign", "Panic Song"... Hell every single one of them! None of the songs except "Tight Wad Hill" sound like fillers. So, the conclusion - This is a strong one; every song on it sound excellent, especially if you play it loud (xD) and if it was stolen or lost, I would buy the record again!