Kerplunk review by Green Day

• Released: Jan 17, 1992
Green Day: Kerplunk

This was Green Day's last independent album on Lookout! Records. The sound is sort of a DIY version of their major label debut, Dookie. The songs have shifted slightly in style from 1,039/SOSH, and Billie's voice has deepened. It was their first album with their new drummer Tre Cool, and he has some amazing athletic fills. Even if it sounds like they were recorded in a cardboard box. This album is classic pop-punk, in the style of the Ramones or the Queers. The songwriting isn't quite as solid as Dookie, but it is still fantastic.

The lyrics are typical of Green Day around this time. They showed a still pretty undeveloped vocabulary, and even some questionable lines (She holds my malokite so tight). At some points the lyrics are pretty humorous, and Tre Cool wrote a hilarios song caled Dominated Love Slave. Billie's singing is much better than his previous efforts, and it has so much confidence.

This is my second favorite album by Green Day, behind it's successor Dookie. It is a bit less poppy and 39/Smooth and Dookie, but still pretty accessable. For some reason it took a while for me to get into this, probably because of the recording quality. But now I listen to almost exclusively lo-fi, so I'm used to it. The best songs are '2000 Lightyears Away', 'One for the Razorbacks', '80', and 'Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?'. It should be noted this abum also features a different version of the Dookie song 'Welcome to Paradise'. I love how the songs all have a common style but don't all sound the same, like Bon Jovi. But the guitar sounds very weak and trebly, the bass sounds fine out front, and Tre's drumming is talented but poorly recorded. I would buy this again in a heartbeat, although I'd get it on vinyl instead of CD.