Nimrod review by Green Day

• Released: Oct 13, 1997
Green Day: Nimrod

Well, there's too much too say in one paragraph, so I guess it'd be easier to list down the pros and cons of each song: 01. Nice Guys Finish Last: this song is pretty cool and is catchy the first time you hear it, but after a while it seems overplayed, and the chorus gets repetitive. I gotta say the video was funny, especially when Tre randomly threw the table at the lockers. 8/10 02. Hitchin' A Ride: this song was spectacular. I think that the bass line, however simple it is, is ingenious, and carries the rhythm of the song well and you'll somehow find yourself bopping along to it. 9/10 03. The Grouch: ah, The Grouch! This one is my personal favourite. The lyrics are bloody witty and well-written and you can hear the disdain in Billie's voice as he rants about how he's 'turning out like his dad'. The whole thing is middle-age wrapped up in a big shiny package. 10/10! 04. Redundant: (are you guys sensing a pattern in Nimrod? Like all the great songs are at the front and back and the crap is sandwiched in the centre?) Anyway, this song was rather good and the lyrics were kinda sentimental (I love you's not enough, I'm lost for words)and it doesn't get boring even if you play it a billion times on your CD player- well actually none of the songs in Nimrod get boring besides for Last Ride In or something. 05. Scattered: this is another favourite, besides The Grouch. At first the intro seems really boring and like stereotypical Green Day, but then when it launches into the verse, it gets sad while the guitar parts are really upbeat, then it goes into the chorus which is even more beautiful. Did he write this about Adrienne? (I was just thinking, because the songs he writes about Adrienne are mostly pretty sweet, like Church on Sunday)10/10! 06. ALL THE TIME: this is one of the boring songs in Nimrod, one that I just can't get used to. I kind of try to listen to it over and over again, to find cool parts that I might have overlooked, but it just seems like music blaring. Sorry! 4/10. 07. Worry Rock: Worry Rock was, honestly, kind of average-ish. It's about as good as Nice Guys Finish Last, only not as repetitive. I don't get the lyrics, really. It's pretty obvious that it's about love, and it's bad somehow, but other than that I can't interpret it. 8.5/10 08. Platypus (I Hate You): without doubt, the BEST hate song I've heard (that's not metal, at least). You can feel the emotion while it's sung by an irate Billie, and I think 'waste of semen' is an awesome insult. 10/10 09. Uptight: I'm sorry, I just CAN'T STAND THIS. I've heard worse music, trust me, but this is not what I expected from Green Day. It's um, pretty emo? Sorry I had to resort to using that dastardly term but it's true. 3/10 10. Last Ride In: it was interesting the first time I listened to it but then it got boring and when I put my iPod on shuffle now, I just skip it. There's no point in listening to it if it kind of, you know, sucks? 3/10 11, 12. Jinx, Haushinka: I just couldn't stand either of these songs so I decided to group them together and not waste time. 3/10, 4/10. 13. Walking Alone: FINALLY! A decent song amongst all that filler crap. This song was cute, what with the harmonicas and catchy tune. But the lyrics were pretty lame. 'Come together like a foot in a shoe, only this time I think I stuck my foot in my mouth'.?!?!? Like, what? 8/10 14. Reject: I just loved the story behind this song. According to Wikipedia, "Reject" came from an incident where a boy received Green Day's previous album, Insomniac for his eighth birthday from his grandma. The boy started singing Green Day's songs (with explicit lyrics), and his mother got angry and wrote a complaint letter to Armstrong; Armstrong wrote an actual letter back to her, and this song was based on his response. Like, can you say MAJOR OWNAGE? What an arse of a woman. (I am female too, despite my username, I still think that she's a 'reject All-American'. HEY I just realized that if you switch that phrase around, it becomes All American Rejects... okay never mind.) 9/10. 15. Take Back: this is another angry song, and it's really hardcore- I've never heard Billie do screamo before. It's something new, but it's still pretty cool. 9/10. 16. King For A Day: I know people have mixed feelings about this song, but personally I think it's fantastic. Billie shows his ready wit again in the lyrics and the added brass instruments are welcome. I wouldn't mind more of this in Green Day. (Just don't go overboard)10/10! 17. Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life): everyone loves this song, admit it, who doesn't? It's just impossible not to, everything is so mellow and greatly different from what Green Day's ever done but the picking is so PERFECT. It's overwhelming. 10/10. 18. Prosthetic Head: I like the message in this song- against plastic surgery- but it too gets boring after you play it about twenty times? It's still good the first few times(of course, Green Day wrote it!) though, so it gets an 8/10. Alright, there was some shit on this record but the good stuff outweighs the bad infinitely!

THANK GOD Tre didn't write any songs on this album, since Tre's writing skills are um... kind of unsatisfactory and would probably drag this album down even more. I apologize, Tre, I don't really have anything against you, just that you're a bit cuckoo and I think that affects your songwriting. ANYWAY, the lyrics are pretty good, like, if it's a hate song, you feel the hate in the lyrics, if it's about a cross-dresser, you can form the images in your head well, and even the more loser-ish songs have great lyrics (It's just the melodies that kill it). Way to go Billie! ALSO, for the singer skills thing, I never doubted Billie's singing skills, he has a unique voice that probably makes women (and men) swoon, it just FITS this sort of music.

My favourite songs from Nimrod would have to be The Grouch, Scattered and Walking Alone. These all are great to sing to and have some sort of story/theme behind them, which is cool. Green Day Albums(Best to Worst): Kerplunk Warning Nimrod Dookie(It'd be first if it were better produced) 1039/Smoothed out Slappy Hours American Idiot 21st Century Breakdown If Nimrod was stolen, I'd track down the idiot who stole it and skin him head-to-toe. Then I'd go to the store and buy five more copies. Not that it'd be stolen anyway, since I make sure to lock it away somewhere secret in my house.