Shenanigans review by Green Day

• Released: Jul 1, 2002
Green Day: Shenanigans

Shenanigans was released as a partner with International Superhits, and by far I think it had a very unique sound to it. They had very fast upbeat power chords, and songs with a completely different tempo than expected. It sounded a bit more sloppy than usual, and it did get repetitive, but this album is still great to listen to. Billie Joe's voice was distinctly different, or it may only be me who thinks that, but I think it worked out well for him, and it sounded right with the album. Overall, the sound was good, but was leaning to the pop-punk side.

First of all, I think Billie Joe has an amazing talent for writing lyrics, and an amazing voice. However, for this album I think half of the songs had fantastic lyrics, but there were a few that seemed sloppy and lacking of the usual energy Green Day has that has brought them to where they are now. The impression the lyrics left me wasn't the greatest, but it is still quite good.

I liked this album, and a few songs have wound up into my favorites list (Suffocate, Sick Of Me, Haha Your Dead). I didn't quite like the lack of enthusiasm the album brought, but the heavy power chords made the album stand out a bit, and it didn't recieve as much credit as it should have in my opinion. If I lost it, or had it stolen, I'd most likely buy it again because some of the songs really stick out in your mind. Really, not that bad of an album, just not my favorite.