Uno! review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2012
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Green Day: Uno!

To start I'd like to say that I've been listening to Green Day since 2004. Yes I started with "American Idiot" and worked my way backwards. I've loved them ever since the start. I love everything about them, even what people hate. They're the first band I've ever loved. Ever since "Warning" came out, I've definitely noticed a change in Green Day's sound. They went from a more punk style to a pop and alternative style could be pleasing to a much larger audience. The most distinctive change I've noticed in their sound is the EQ on Billie's voice, and just the general manner in which he sings. You won't hear any vocals that sound like "86" in this album. Billie's singing is very "nice" I suppose. He hit's every note perfectly and strays completely away from the punk style of singing that he used to be so perfect at. In one song in fact I think I hear a little bit of auto-tuning (as someone who does recording on his own, you can just tell when it's being used). The album however is mixed BEAUTIFULLY. The drums thump you and the bass sounds excellent. But it's nothing like anything from past albums and you'll need to expect a much more generic and mainstream sound or you'll be disappointed. I would rate this much higher but because so many of the songs sound the exact same, I can't put this at more than a 6 out of 10.

As far as the singing goes for this album, Billie does a good job sounding like a fine singer. But once again, he doesn't possess that punk style at all in his singing. And that disappoints me. Don't expect those good ol' Green Day lyrics from this album either.

Man... This album just doesn't cut it for me. It's so unlike any other album they've done and it's not in the good way. I am really upset. I listened to this straight through expecting something fantastic and I came away with the mainstream nonsense I hate. I still love Green Day, but this isn't like them. Hopefully they'll get it together in "Dos" or "Tres". 6 out of 10, and may they find it in themselves to earn back some dignity with the next two albums.