Warning review by Green Day

• Released: Oct 3, 2000
Green Day: Warning

This album, unlike the hardcore punk distortion of most of Green Day's previous albums, has more of a folk, acoustic sound. With the title track, "Warning," which questions all the pointless rules in society, to the motivational anti-suicide song "Hold On," there is a nice flow from song to song. Green Day doesn't disappoint on the punk side, however, with the rather halarious "Blood, Sex, And Booze," and one of Green Day's greatest hits, "Minority." After "Good Riddance" on the Nimrod album, Billy Joe tried something similar with a song called Macy's Day Parade. A soft melodic theme which sings about greed and such. My only complaint is that some of these songs sound repetitive. There is very little that distinquishes some of these songs like "Castaway," and "Deadbeat Holiday." However some of the wierd variation in style from Nimrod has carried over in the song "Misery," using an accordian and giving off a rather renaissance, gothic, up-beat, polka-like, haunted house in Russia or Germany or something. That is seriously what that song reminded me of. Nontheless. most of the songs on this album are pretty fun to listen to. My paticular favorites are "Minority," "Warning," "Church On Sunday," and "Macy's Day Parade." However, I do enjoy the rest of the songs on Warning.

The lyrics in this album seem much more rebellious than previous album. For example "Warning." This song questions the pointless rules that are there to "protect" us and that we should just once ignore these rules. "Minority" expresses the need to be different from everyone else, "Fashion Victim" is similar and jokes at people who just follow trends without any real personal opinion on themselves. Songs like "Misery" and "Blood, Sex And Booze" show the bands willingness to be completely out there and to just be different. However, the inspiring "Hold On" tries to talk to people about suicide and such which is nice, however the song seems too up-beat, but nontheless it is played well. Unfortunately Billy Joe sounds the same in most of these songs which can make them hard to distinquish, however these songs are enjoyable nontheless and if you just have it on background noise, it doesn't really matter because the up-beat and light-hearted attitude seems to keep you awake, while you may need to rock out when you hear "Minority."

You can tell Billy Joe tried to be rather different with this album. He seems to truly express his love for his acoustic and experiments with his harmonica, as well as the saxaphone, accordian and other instruments. Tre Cool continues with his simple but fun drum lines which fit the up-beat folk style of the instrumentals rather well. Overall I say this another one of Green Day's greatest. If you aren't a fan of punk rock or anything, at least check out acouple songs on this because many of these hits are very addictive!