Warning review by Green Day

• Released: Oct 3, 2000
Green Day: Warning

A short-lived new direction for Californian Pop-Punk giants Green Day, "Warning" was the only release from the band to experiment with elements of folk. It is also one of their most overlooked and ignored records. Green Day, at this point, clearly wanted a new sound. After "Warning", "American Idiot" came out. They had always been a little poppy in previous albums, but AI completely embraced an all-out Pop-Punk sound, with song structures almost turning out progressive. They continued this with their next release, but I think they should have given the themes and traits present on "Warning" another go. With the opening riff of the title track, you can tell this is going to be different than fans of "Dookie" and "Nimrod" are used to. But as we continue on to Church On Sunday and Castaway, it's very clear that we haven't lost them completely. The classic elements of an amazing Green Day song are right there beneath the folk-punk experimentation. On "Church On Sunday", we get a mixed intro, but by the chorus we get the harmony of a classic Green Day tune. "Castaway" is one of the only songs that have almost pure Punk sound, not only on "Warning" but in Green Day's discography.

While the sound has changed, the lyrics on this album are spot on to the classics, and at the same time what would begin a new ongoing theme for the band. Some songs are about love and relationships, some subtly criticizing social aspects such as government and religion. He's a victim of his own time, in his "vintage suit" and tie, he's casualty dressed to the teeth in the latest genocide from "Fashion Victim" has a very clear political/working class theme, which would become common for them on the next two albums. Then there's If I got to church on Sunday, will you come home with me Friday night? When it comes to the lyrics on this album, the blend of new and old is great. Another reason why I believe they should have stuck with this.

Overall this album was a great effort, very well done and written, and something they should throw back to in the future. Whether they follow the success of "AI" and "21CB" with another Pop-Punk concept album, or try something totally new like they did transitioning from "Nimrod" to this, I'm sure Green Day has left a huge legacy to all music and they're going to be around for a long time.