Horn Of Plenty Review

Grizzly Bear: Horn Of Plenty
Released: Nov 9, 2004
Genre: Indie-Folk, Psych-Folk, Anti-Folk, Freak-Folk
Label: Kanine/Warp
The debut album from Grizzly Bear, which was mostly songs from the current Grizzly Bear "frontman", Ed Droste. To me, this is the best album that Grizzly Bear has released so far.
 7.1
 6.7
 7.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Horn Of Plenty Reviewed by: CA Rocker, on july 11, 2011

Sound: The debut album from Grizzly Bear, which was mostly songs from the current Grizzly Bear "frontman", Ed Droste, which a small collaboration from the now Grizzly Bear drummer, Chris Bear. Best album from this band in my opinion, featuring 14 songs all written by Ed Droste. It has been described as Anti-folk, Freak-folk, etc etc. Very lo-fi and unique sound from this powerhouse album. This debut project features myriad sounds and layering of voices sure to hypnotize you in a very Radiohead-esque daze. Released on the 9th of November in the year of 2004 on Kanine records (and later from Warp records), this album is a must buy for any fan of what I like to call Renaissance-rock. // 7

Lyrics: Lyrics from this album are like a hospital drug daze, and with Ed's haunting voice, and microphone technique and level, a very unique sound. The lo-fi sound to this was actually a big mistake. According to Ed Droste, he simply didn't know too much about recording, or engineering. Very emotional album, with tracks Like "Eavesdropping" or "A Good Place". Also experimental with tracks such as "Campfire" and "Shift". I have to say though, more of a musical and technical album. // 5

Overall Impression: To me, this is the best album that Grizzly Bear has released so far. In my opinion the best song on this particular album is "Eavesdropping". If you listen to this album, and like it, its sad to say that they have changed their sound, but not too drastically. Other members have came, and now they are a quartet. But this album is full of mirage feelings, haunting and layered vocals, technial experimentation, and unique vibes. I would recommend to anyone who likes TONS of variety. // 8

Comments