Appetite For Brazil [DVD] review by Guns N' Roses

• Content: 6
  • Production Quality: 7
  • Reviewer's score: 5.5 Decent

Guns N' Roses gave the greatly apprieciated albums use your illusion one and two in the early nineties. This concert was recorded at the "Rock In Rio" concert a few months before the double album was on the go. I'd like to say that this DVD is completley worth the money that I paid for it, sadly I can't say it. If you want a decent concert that was released as part of the Use Your Illusion tour then go and buy the Tokyo one because seriously this isnt a great concert. To start the show the band play "Pretty Tied Up" which is ok for the likes of Izzy Stradlin and and Duff McKagan. Axl's voice sounds okay but he has sounded a lot better. Slash's guitar isnt turned up so for the first few songs so the sound is horrible when it comes to playing his solos. However, when it comes to the third song of the set "Patience" everything seems to be sorted. Slash plays the exact same solo that he did for the Tokyo one and Matt Sorum and Dizzy Reed seem to have got their nerves behind them as this was their first proper show.

Content — 6
The "Appetite For Brazil" DVD show was to promote the new album and with the songs they played from the album it seemed fairly reasonable for a set list. The new songs of that time that were played were "Pretty Tied Up", "Double Talkin' Jive", "You Could Be Mine", "Cival War", "Dead Horse" and "Estranged". Also with the mix of favourites from Appetite For Destruction. This could be seen as a good set list from the band. No doubt about it. The version of "Sweet Child O Mine" on this DVD is solid gold. It's beautiful and Axl's slow talk at the end of "Double Talkin' Jive" transforming into a pretty cool intro for " Welcome To The JUngle" is well worth the watch But, it seems for some reason that the spark of the band has some how disappearded with the sacking of Stephen Adler. Don't get me wrong. The band play well enough together here but it just isnt the same as past shows where the band looked as if they were all enjoying themselves. The DVD has no special features except from the scene selection.

Production Quality — 7
This is possibly the only reasonable ability that the DVD has shown. The concert was filmed for Brazil and there is some Brazilian guy who you can't make out a word he says. I just skip to the next song because he interupts all the time. The footage here is pretty cool, the camera angles go from close ups to audience view to bird views and let you see the crowd and how big the arena actually is. This is possibly the most plauable thing on the DVD.

I'm still trying to get hold of the live in Paris gig so that should be reviewed soon enough but until then, if you really want to find a Guns N' Roses DVD that you will enjoy then go for Tokyo ones. Their easy to get hold of and the back catalogue on them is pretty reasonable. This is a poor DVD, that's the truth really. It has it's highlights of Sweet Child 'O Mine and the likes of when Matt messes up on Knockin' On Heavens Door but I wouldn't waste your money on it. I bought it from a shop in Italy and thought it would be interesting to see but I wouldn't cry myself to sleep over it if I lost it. It's just not that impressive an effort.

Matty22
    This isn't an official product... It's a bootleg of a TV broadcast from Rock in Rio.
    therealbendavis
    For sure. Downloaded the Ritz show on isohunt.com It was pretty epic.
    Goin' Mobile
    The Ritz shows aren't even that good. The band sounds out of tune. They should release the New Haven Coliseum show from 1993.
    TMKA
    espplayer400 wrote: Is the Ritz show the same one that has the "Knockin on heavens door"?. I remember MTV playin a live clip of GNR doing this song back in 89. Definately one of the best renditions of that song outside of Dylan's own. Knockin on heavins door was out in the 90's therefore would not have been played in 89
    no man, they were playing the song live long before 92
    ated ^knockin on heaven's door '88 at the ritz
    espplayer400
    Carl Hungus
    To anyone who cares there is a torrent available on ISO Hunt for the entire "Ritz" show in avi format.
    Carl Hungus
    dgme92
    Their best show, easily. I'd love to see that live. My fave performance from the night was probably Nightrain.
    MusicalMinority
    avatar ang wrote: yes.... i do believe that gunz n roses is not a cool band at all. My mom tells me its the devil....I know its true....Axl Rose and Slah are teh devil....They are not cool.....P.S., I still wet the bed....( 23 )
    I was going to say something, but I realize now that it'd just be a wasted effort. And also, +1 to the Ritz show.
    Jak0lantern01
    enginehead
    I actually thought this was quite a good show, the sound quality cud be better, the camara work was awesome. I really got a great feel from the show. the crowd was pretty enthusiastic lol. Steven aler isn't here, but im not too fussed, as Sorum done a great job on use your illusion, although i do prefer Stevens drumming to Sorums. Bassically, it is worth buying if you want to see a good quality izzy/illusions concert. I wud definatly not recommend the tokyo show. U can hardly hear the rhythm guitar, axls vocals arn't great, slash messes up the paradise city solo cause he runs through the crowd lol. Generally im just not a big fan of the gilby version of the band.
    enginehead
    Btw, if u gnr fans are lookin for bootleg recordings of concerts, gnrasylum.com is a great site, u can practically find almost every gnr show recorded!
    enginehead
    I actually thought this was quite a good show, the sound quality cud be better, the camara work was awesome. I really got a great feel from the show. the crowd was pretty enthusiastic lol. Steven aler isn't here, but im not too fussed, as Sorum done a great job on use your illusion, although i do prefer Stevens drumming to adlers. Bassically, it is worth buying if you want to see a good quality izzy/illusions concert. I wud definatly not recommend the tokyo show. U can hardly hear the rhythm guitar, axls vocals arn't great, slash messes up the paradise city solo cause he runs through the crowd lol. Generally im just not a big fan of the gilby version of the band.
    guitargodderyck
    renzo23 : Jak0lantern01 wrote: The Tokyo DVD's are the absolute worst, and I'm a huge Guns fan. What SHOULD be released is the Ritz show from '88. Talk about rock n' roll..... damn straight man those shows are kickass POSTED: 08/08/2008 - 09:26 am / quote | so true
    b0ch0
    renzo23 wrote: Jak0lantern01 wrote: The Tokyo DVD's are the absolute worst, and I'm a huge Guns fan. What SHOULD be released is the Ritz show from '88. Talk about rock n' roll..... damn straight man those shows are kickass
    HELL YEAH! (Y)
    avatar ang
    cj10schmelzer
    Garf72 wrote: adlers drumming is bombastic in the ritz show too, the only let down of the whole set is axl walking off randomly during rocket queen leaving the band just playing out the song
    what also sucked was that axls voice was like completely gone for almost the whole show, but that was somewhat good cuz it made it so much more raw and awesome
    cj10schmelzer
    i watch those videos on youtube all the time, the crowd is so ****ing awesome in that show. my favorite is paradise city, cuz even the band goes crazy.
    stef123
    Yeah man that was wicked
    Jak0lantern01
    Nononono. Let's get something straight.....that's one of the coolest parts of the gig: Axl walking off then coming back with cig's for his bandmates and finishing the song. It gave room for a little jam action there. Like I said, rock n' roll. It shouldn't be predictable and it's not like he had a tantrum and walked off.
    Garf72
    renzo23
    damn straight man those shows are kickass
    mate_jebate