Appetite for Destruction review by Guns N' Roses

• Released: Oct 27, 1987
Guns N' Roses: Appetite for Destruction

In a time when hair bands singing about typical love songs ruled the air waves, Guns N Roses came out with their own brand of heavy metal. They were dirtier, meaner, and just plain out-of-control. From the heavier sound of Welcome to the Jungle; to the catchiness of Paradise City; to the love ballad Sweet Child O Mine...this album's sound was revolutionary at the time and still is a huge influence to newer bands. I give this album a hard earned 5.

Beings how I have grown up in the post-grunge era, I don't really connect with the lyrics, but it is a step away from most bands nowadays because GNR also talked about having fun in their lyrics, which is important. The lyrics to Sweet Child O Mine lacked a little bit, but it still sounded really well because of the combination of Slash and Axl. Axl did a really good job of showing his emotions in his singing. You can hear all the anger and rage of Guns N Roses through the opening portion of WTTJ, and you could also hear the raw emotion in Rocket Queen. He did a good job portraying the lyrics.

At the time of this albums release, it stood out in the crowd of hair ban greasers and it has stood the test of time. They had a bigger impression on music than did Motley Crue, and were a lot bigger than Poison. The best songs on the record were mentioned already, but songs that I think go strongly unnoticed are Mr. Brownstone, It's So Easy, and Nightrain. I love the album as a whole including most of the songs. The only track i dislike is You're Crazy. If you like heavy rock n roll songs, you might like this track, but I do not. This album is my favorite of all time and I have had to buy 3 different copies because I listen to it too much. Appetite for Destruction is really worth buying it and if know anything about rock n roll, or want to learn something about it, buy this record.