Appetite for Destruction review by Guns N' Roses

• Released: Oct 27, 1987
Guns N' Roses: Appetite for Destruction

The sound and production quality is incredible (especially when compared to that of their independant record from 1986, Live Like A Suicide). Axl's vocal range is that of a true metal G-d. The punk oriented rhythm section of Duff McKagan, Izzy Stradlin', and Steve Adler flows perfectly together, and Slash (well, what can I say about him?), he's incredibly tasteful, and seldomly over does his solos, and his Wah-Wah technique has inspired my lead guitar style multiple times. Mike Clink (the producer) also deserves some mad credit too.

I don't know what would make a better lyricist/frontman, frankly, the man is nearly perfect for the job, he's a brilliant artist, potentially dangerous, self centered, and somewhat sensitive. His lyrics are incredible. All the songs so fully represent the Sunset Strip scene in LA and the GN'R mentallity. Mr. Brownstone defining the struggles in the life of basically homeless, drug addicts being bothered by the greedy landlord, My Michelle describing the very real life of a troubled young lady, Out To Get Me dealing with the f--kin' fuzz tryin' to book Axl all the time, etc.

This is an amazing album, in my opinion. I completely hate hair metal, and if Guns N' Roses wasn't a cornerstone in helping kill it (I thank the grunge movement, excellent bands such as Soundgarden Stone Temple Pilots, and Pearl Jam, for that), they changed it for the better. I consider GN'R sleaze metal (with the likes of Aerosmith, and Alice Cooper). Guns basically took hair metal and incorporated elements of punk, thrash metal, and blues. They didn't tease their hair like the pussies in shitty bands such as Bon Jovi, Poison (uggh, terrible), and Motley Crue, they were more dangerous than those MTV-friendly deuschebags (GN'R actually trashed MTV! T'was most excellent because MTV sucks, especially compared to Much Music in Canada). And one could, in theory, claim that they basically started the counter-culture of the late eighties and early nineties (however, they got a little too pop in the early nineties for me) that was kind of followed by incredible bands like Jane's Addiction, Alice In Chains (who sad-to-say were a hair band in the eighties called Sleze), Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers etc. I would definitely buy this record again if it was stolen.