Appetite for Destruction review by Guns N' Roses

• Released: Oct 27, 1987
Guns N' Roses: Appetite for Destruction

They sound good. Plain and simple. I'm a guitarist and frontman kinda guy, so, I'll automatically like the guitarists, but, Slash amazes me. I've never heard a guitarist play a solo like that. Izzy is awesome too. Here's something unique about GN'R. Axl Rose is the only metal frontman that I know of that can play a piano. That, is impressive. This album has a lot of riffwork. Chords, leads, but, alot of the songs feature a repeating, riff-style chord progression. Good stuff though. Just listen to "Welcome To The Jungle". My favorite part of the album though, Is the intro to "Sweet Child O' Mine". Even if you wouldn't listen to the rest of this album, listen to that one. It'll blow you away.

The lyrics are a little bit edgy at times, but, they fit quite well with the progressions. Some songs, the lyrics seem to be off-time with the music, but that's just me. There are some really pretty songs on here. "Singer skills?" Wow! Axl Rose is like, the best metal vocalist on the planet. He has a fairly deep singing voice, and yet, he could shatter glass. Plus, he can go from soft, to hard as steel at a moment's notice.

I think this one tops Black Sabbath. All of the songs are impressive. Just give it a listen. You'll see. I love the songs. I hate the lyrics with references to drug use. If somebody even left a fingerprint this CD, I'd put my foot in their face about level with their eyes. I won't even let anybody else touch this album. I love it. I think the overall score of this album with me is a ten. The parts that I love the most make up for what's lacking, and that's very little.