Appetite for Destruction review by Guns N' Roses

• Released: Oct 27, 1987
Guns N' Roses: Appetite for Destruction

When I first heard this album I just thought "wow". Especially since it was a debut album. Everything about the sound caught my ear, from the smart use of pedals e.g. delay in welcome to the jungle, wahwah in the sweet child solo, to the sleezy blues solos. Not to be forgotten though, were Izzy Stradlins awesome riffs: it's not understatement to call him the chief gnr songwriter. They were melodic and instantly memorable. Axl's vocals were raw, gritty and unlike anything since Robert Plant or Steven Tyler. The basslines were amazing, and portrayed the talent McKagan possessed. Not to be outdone was Steven Adler, he could drum it up like any other and with flare e.g. his cowbell in nightrain. The band was talented and instantly had an individual sound from anything else produced at the time.

To me, the lyrics sounded as if they were from the heart. Indeed, Axl and Izzy have on countless occasions that GN'R songs were always based on truth (unless you count used to love her. listen to it on live era and axl's speech says it all). I absolutely loved the lyrics: almost all songs were instantly memorable. To say thaqt the lyrics fit perfectly with the music would be an apt statement. Izzy and Axl always seem to fit the lyrics in in just the right places e.g. the part after the first solo of nightrain. Skills wise, Axl rose is a very strong lyricist and singer. His voice ranges from a deep baritone one (It's So Easy) to a high falsetto (Welcome To The Jungle). On each song, Axl ca be heard screaming his heart out, particularly on the part after the solo of nightrain, of on Welcome To The Jungle.

Asides from Iron Maidens "number of the beast" or AC/DC's "Back In Black" there is not other album I would put next to this. I could listen to this time and time again without getting bored. Because that's what Axl's vocals and Slash and Izzy's guitar interplay did: it hooked me. Now I never really liked rock as a child, but after hearing Sweet Child 'O Mine at a friends, I was converted. And the same thing has happened to anyone I've lended this album to. It's the quintessential rock album to have, and there really is no other. The songs I loved were Nightrain (to me it is the greatest rock song), It's so easy and Think about you. There really is nothing I hate about this album, unless you compare Anything goes to the earlier Hollywood rose version, but that isn't exactly hate is it? Just preference. I wouldn't bother buying this again if I lost it as I would already have a second copy in case of said event. It's honestly that good.