Appetite for Destruction review by Guns N' Roses

• Released: Oct 27, 1987
Guns N' Roses: Appetite for Destruction

To start the review I would first have to admit to being yet another Guns N' Roses fan, that was fascinated with Appetite for Destruction when I first discovered it. Guns N' Roses have always had this feeling of electricity in the air as maybe, Welcome to the Jungle (the albums 1st track) or Sweet Child O' Mine (the anthem), kick in, as there is a shared feeling between the audience that they are in for something special. GN'R really mix it up on this CD, throwing in an abundance of new styles, mixing the blues with the typical, hard edged rock n roll, mixed with '80s metal, and managing to make it sound unique at the same time. Songs such as Sweet Child 'O Mine were made for fun at practice sessions, It's So Easy being written on a pizza box in a hotel, and such, really show this, with Mr. Brownstones looming intro, almost ghostlike.

To be completely honest, Axl Rose was the wild child of '80s rock, with the lyrics to show for. Welcome To The Jungle, about the city of LA, not being the paradise it is usually referred to as. Whereas there will always be the exception of Sweet Child 'O Mine, about Axl's girlfriend, praising her and managing to show the band can perform in a mix of styles and speeds. The lyrics really impressed me, this being the bands debut album for Geffen, and there first notable album, and showcased Axl's vocal skills, singing high, low, and giving off the signature shrieking, screaming vocals.

Overall, Appetite For Destruction is an astounding album, showing what a band with high hopes and visions of success really can do, re-inventing rock n roll/metal, after it began to wear thin, with only the genres first superstars, such as Metallica, getting the recognition they deserved. Buy it, and make sure you take in every last note of the guitar, bass, drums, vocals, as it is something that will never again be achieved by any bands claiming to be rockers. Guns N' Roses, in my opinion, were the last rock band to break the barriers of the genre, twist it around, and make it fun again. It is quite pssibly, actually forget that, it IS my favourite album. If I were to lose this or it got stolen, I would buy it again as it should be missing from no rockers collection, and I consider it to be a timeless classic metal album.

Metal_Militia15
    Baz1211991 wrote: Modernmusich8er wrote: yes it is, it's their only good one use your illusion I+II are amazing! spaghetti incident was kinda crap, after all it was just covers. lies is excellent aswell, their acoustic side is just as good
    Dude. GNR Really only had 3 Albums. Appetite, Which was their best. They put out illusions 1 and 2 afterwords just because Axl didn't want to live with Appetite for destruction his whole life. GNR Lies wasn't an album. They were forced to make it because of the demand. They showed up at a recording studio for one day and recorded all these songs then put it out, sold millions, just because its GNR. As said, Spaggetti Incident was mostly covers, nothing big there. Covers dont cut it as an album either. But anyways. This is still one of the greatest rock albums of all time. No doubt.