Appetite for Destruction review by Guns N' Roses

• Released: Oct 27, 1987
Guns N' Roses: Appetite for Destruction

My first impression of this album was naturally Welcome to the Jungle, after hearing it during a Cincinnati Bengals game. I just heard a small portion of the chorus after a touchdown, and after 5 seconds, I knew the second I got on the computer I was getting on iTunes to buy the song. I got on iTunes, looked at the Artist, then Album, and I noticed something I wasn't expecting: Welcome to the Jungle wasn't even the most popular song on the album! It was second to Sweet Child O' Mine, and very close behind was Paradise City. I listened to Sweet Child O' Mine, and was instantly mesmorized by the intro hook, intrigued by the mini-solos throughout the song, and awed by the furious wah-wah solo in the middle. Parts of the song to this day still gives me goosebumps. After the final notes of Sweet Child, I realized I had a new favorite band. Then I decided to give Paradise City a try. I think this song, along with the wah-wah solo in Sweet Child, displays Slash's unbelievable talent at playing the guitar. It starts with a clean tone playing a simple rotation of G-C-F chords. The song builds and gets faster and more complex, and ends with a bang. Every song on the album is at least about a 6 out of 10, with the exception of Anything Goes or Rocket Queen. They aren't bad, but they aren't even close to the other songs. Along with Welcome to the Jungle, Sweet Child O' Mine, and Paradise City, some good songs on the album worth mentioning are Nightrain, Mr. Brownstone, My Michelle, and You're Crazy.

Axl Rose is undoubtedly one of the best vocalists in the history of rock, or music in general for that matter. From the mysterious lyrics of Welcome to the Jungle, to the tame, soft vocals of Sweet Child O' Mine, he's got all the bases covered for singing.

As most other reviews have mentioned, it is one of the best heavy metal albums ever. In my opionion, I believe it may be the best, due to the thought and diversity. Metallica's most famous songs like Master of Puppets and Enter Sandman both come from the same tree, which was basically hard-core heavy metal, but when they tried to make softer songs later, such as Nothing Else Matters, they were considered sell-outs. Guns N' Roses had the ability to be softer and hard-core but were never, ever, accused of being sell-outs. Other heavy metal guitarists are worrid about speed. Slash is all about substance. The most impressive songs are easily Sweet Child O' Mine, Paradise City, and Welcome to the Jungle, and just for those three songs alone, if I lost the album, I'd buy it back a hundred times. I can't live without it. If I could rate it more than 10, it would easily be a 15.