Appetite for Destruction review by Guns N' Roses

• Released: Oct 27, 1987
Guns N' Roses: Appetite for Destruction

The Guitar work on this album is incredible. Many classic riffs were created including the intro to Sweet Child O' Mine and Welcome to the Jungle, and the Verse, Chorus and Solo of Paradise City. Slash really solidified himself as an amazing guitarist with this CD. All the songs were melded together with extreme care. It's fast-paced, but heavy. It's smooth, but edgy. It's soft, but harsh. Slash and Izzy fit their sounds together perfectly. During live concerts there fast bluesy rockin' style would make the concert just seem that more awesome. Just watch a live GN'R video and you'll see what I mean. The guitar solo's on Paradise City, Sweet Child O' Mine and Nightrain are some classic examples of true musicianship. The style couldn't be more perfect. This album trademarked that GN'R sound.

They just couldn't have gone wrong in any way with Axl. He screams his lyrics like only he could do. He moans them like only he could do. He drones them like only he could do. This is by far Axl's best vocals out of any GN'R CD. His drug driven poetry just fits with the sleazy, rockin' style of the album. Some great examples of his skill are the opening scream to Welcome to the Jungle (How can you possibly hold it that long), and all of Paradise City, Mr. Brownstone, and Sweet Child O' Mine. The style of it's So Easy was a unique new type of singing that would be used by Axl in years to come. This CD also proves his insane range, from the low aforementioned it's So Easy to the high sounds of Welcome to the Jungle. As mentioned above, the vocal style of this album also was extremely useful in live concerts. It created that more of a riot-like live sound. Like I said in the sound section, watch any GNR live video and you'll see what I mean. Axl Rose is my favorite singer of all time and this album proves exactly why.

01. Welcome To The Jungle - the opening riff by Slash is just about as good as you can get. It's like the calm before the storm. With Axl's siren-like scream you just know something huge is coming. Then the verse riff hits, and the adrenaline rushes. While the Guitar solo may lack any real great effort, Axl's sex sounds make up for it, =). The lyrics really add to this song. Without them, it would still be great, but just not the same. In my opinion, this is gotta be the greatest album opener of all time. Making it in at #2 on VH1's Greatest Metal Songs of All Time, along with also cracking both Rolling Stone's and Q Magazine's Best Songs of All Time lists, this song cannot be overlooked. 02. It's So Easy - I love the opening note to this song. The song barely lacks anything in the Guitar portion. It also has Axl's first example of droning lyrics, a major highlight and my personal favorite part of the song. The chorus melded with both these parts is still missing something though. So what do they add? Cowbell. Perfect. It just completes it. Well, actually, if it were perfect it would get a perfect rating. It just missed. 03. Nightrain - the opening yet again is perfect. Cowbell. Yes! GN'R really has this opening thing down. This song is GNR tribute to alcohol. Some of Slash's better guitar work on both this album and throughout his career, with two pretty lengthy guitar solos. Axl's lyrics just fit with the song very nicely. The song hits it's climactic point within the last minute of the song when Axl screams "Never to return!", and Slash goes into his great outro solo. 04. Out Ta Get Me - yet again. The opening. A nice slow version of the chorus riff picking up pace, adding a second guitar half way through, until finally it hits the high point. They add a nice Slash lead over everything and bam. Another perfect intro. Axl's lyrics are the low point of the song. He sings in a very backgroundish way until the pre-chorus and the chorus. Other than those two parts the vocals section is seriously lacking. The guitar work is really more stuff that's gonna be overlooked. The only thing that sticks in my head is the intro/chorus riff. Although I may seem to be pounding most of this song into the ground, it really isn't as bad as I made it sound. It just wasn't as great as the first 3 songs and most of the other songs to come. The first real stumble, albeit a small one, on the album. 05. Mr. Brownstone - yet another perfect intro. Some nice palm-muted guitar into the verse riff by just one guitar. Then they launch in another one, and cha-ching. Perfect. Again. The highlight of this song is the lyrics. While the guitar is excellent. The lyrics are just incredible. Axl sings some nice rhyming stuff for the verse. The best point is the fast double paced singing, of "I used to do a little but a little wouldn't do it so the little got more and more. I just keep tryin' ta get a little better, just a little better than before." Back up from that stumble on Out Ta Get Me. 06. Paradise City - this song is tied (ironically with November Rain, another GNR song) for the spot as my favorite song of all time. The nice clean guitar opening into the lyric that won't die. "Take me down to the Paradise City where the grass is green and the girls are pretty! Oh won't ya take me home!". It keeps going and for a minute and your wondering if this song will ever start a fast pace when suddenly, a whistle blows and there's the riff. The most awesome riff ever. So the song goes on in awesomeness for the next 3 minutes and just when you think it couldn't get any awesomer, the song goes double time, and as expected, the awesome level doubles. Next comes the greatest guitar solo of all time. Or at least in my opinion. It was like God descended upon Slash and gave him the skill to shred, even if it were for just one song. This song also utilizes something that I like that many people may not. Singing over a guitar solo. Axl sings the lyric that just won't die over the solo and together, it just makes the song perfect. If I could I would rate it 11 out of 10, but I'm gonna keep my rating system normal. 07. My Michelle - another great intro. Some nice clean guitar right into an insane distorted verse. Axl roars out the lyrics in the verse with some evil sounding guitar work over his vocals. The artificial harmonics really did it to make that over the top sinister sound. The only problem about this song is the chorus. They pull the ultimate stupid trick. A change to a happier weird sounding key, with Axl singing along with the guitar. That's a no no. Other than the chorus the song is another highlight. Although it's stuck right after Paradise City, so it was kind of a downer. Overall still great. 08. Think About You - the first not perfect intro. They tried the cowbell intro again, and it just didn't get the same effect as Nightrain. They launched from cowbell right into hard rockin' guitar, but it just didn't work as well. Still an okay intro but after six straight songs of amazing intros, it just isn't as great. The lyrics are only good during the "It was the best time I can remember" parts and the chorus. The guitar work is just average. There's some light acoustic over the chorus that is okay, but doesn't fit that well. On Out Ta Get Me they stumbled. On This, they just fell flat on their face. 09. Sweet Child O' Mine - okay so, GN'R just has a knack for writing intros. This intro is immortal. It is a tribute to Rock N Roll. It is an anthem. This song is GNR's only #1 hit. However, a #1 hit is a feat only accomplished by a very small number of artists, and an even smaller number of Hard Rock artists. Everything about this song is just perfect. The guitar work is legendary, especially the solo which is widely regarded as one of the greatest of all time. The lyrics are just peaceful and lovely. While it may not be my favorite it is without a doubt GNR's greatest song. 10. You're Crazy - from this point on the album starts going down. No more 10 out of 10 perfect hits from here. Not even a 9. Another great intro, this time a fast paced guitar lick. The lyrics are just average. The guitar stands out more. The chorus really kinda screws up the song. It goes from really fast paced to just this slow part. However, this song was originally written as a slower more melodic song, so that makes sense that some of it is still slow. It changed during a live concert and they decided to keep it that way. It can be heard in it's slower version on GNR Lies. I personally like the fast version better. 11. Anything Goes - the intro is still great even though it doesn't seem that way. It's one of those intros where you're just waiting for the huge fast paced verse and instead of that, in comes a reggae like beat with Axl singing, "I've been thinkin' 'bout, thinkin' 'bout sex, always hungry for somethin' that I haven't had yet. It makes me laugh every time. The lyrics don't stand out, neither does the guitar work. The solo is kinda cool, but I'm leaning more towards weird then cool. The only really good part of this song is the funny intro, and the reggae beat, and the outro. 11. Rocket Queen - by far the strangest song on the whole album. It changes speeds and keys randomly. The lyrics are the trunk of the tree on this song. The guitar work is just some slow paced power chords to back Axl's voice. Then we got some more sex sounds that we haven't heard since the beginning of the album at Welcome to the Jungle. At the 3 and a half minute mark we have another weird key change. Some nice sad guitar over Axl's vocals. The end of the song was the perfect end for the album. Great musicianship by GNR, making a really weird complex song. Appetite for Destruction has sold 26 Million copies Worldwide, 15 Million in the US alone, placing it respectively in the top 40 selling albums of all time worldwide, and 23rd in the US. It is alongside Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, AC/DC's Back in Black, Led Zeppelin IV, and Nirvana's Nevermind as one of the greatest Rock Albums of all time. Producing 3 huge Rock Anthems, and paving the road of Rock N Roll just a bit farther, it's legacy is unquestioned. it's influence on many other music artists is tremendous. This album is without doubt one of the greatest in history.

wencad12
    i think this album is great. this to me is the best debut in rock history
    nickstrobaugh
    @ir_pele
    Man why everybody talks about sweet child o mine and paradise city???I think each and every song is great and this is deffinatelly my favourite album...
    frankiedj
    nickstrobaugh : "Axl Rose is the only metal frontman that I know of that can play a piano. That, is impressive." -RelientKaddict Zakk Wylde is also very good at playing the piano.
    also M Shadows of Avenged Sevenfold, whose favorite all time album is use your illusion 1+2
    Filbiery
    1993- oh cool when will chinese democracy come out 1998- I hope axl releases chinese democracy this year 2005- ZZZZZ... 2007- STILL WAITING