Appetite for Destruction review by Guns N' Roses

• Released: Oct 27, 1987
Guns N' Roses: Appetite for Destruction

Guns N Roses are a classic rock band from California, and made up of initially 2 bands, LA Guns And Hollywood Roses, meaning this is largely a rock band with - in my opinion - taking inspiration from glam rockers Bon Jovi and as result, fails to be very innovative, but still sound great, I never enjoyed them that much to begin with but the guitars are great and Axl and Slash are a terrific, duo, but sadly you will hardly ever notice the rest of the people contributed to the band but still good nonetheless.

Axl Rose, has - in my opinion - an average voice, with not much diversity, or innovation to it, however it still provides a good combination to the high guitars, and such, but his really high vocals have long impressed me and I believe to keep singing like that - in tune - is an impressive feat for anyone to accomplish.

It's without a doubt there best album, and having my favourite tracks "Sweet Child O Mine", "Paradise City" and "Civil War", its no slouch either, but its an acquired taste that will leave a crowd divided, but ignore it niggles and you have possibly the greatest album ever made, and its a lot better than others I can name, every song is great, so go and buy it or live to regret it.

ighfee
    i was in high school when this came out. i'd seen guns n roses shirts (very few) at school, but i thought it was a clothing label, not a band lol. see, hard rock wasn't in then. pop was. if i remember correctly, artists like robert palmer and madonna were ruling the charts. i was in year 11 anyway and just sneaking into nightclubs. one friday night i staggered home wasted, snuck back in the house so i didnt wake mum and dad and quietly put rage on (that was our version of mtv in australia). anyway, i saw a bit of this and that, smoked a joint and then on came guns n roses. sweet child o mine. the song was like 10 seconds in and i said who the ****in hell is THIS?? i saw some skinny bandana wearing singer with one of the weirdest voices i had ever heard, and then out comes this even weider looking guitar player with no eyes and heaps of hair, and they're playing rock that just moved man. straight up i said out loud these guys are going to be the biggest thing in the world. this was gnr's premiere on australian television. 5 weeks later guns shirts were EVERYWHERE at school.i smile typing this, brings back great memories. guns n roses were my childhood. they were the ****in BEST.
    MaggaraMarine
    audiopainpdd wrote: ok gnr is not heavy metal. they r rock n roll. and axl does not have a heavy metal voice. he has a rock voice. thats y he fits the band. and metallica is not something to recommend to someone who loves this music. GNR is my 2nd fav. band and i hate metallica. lars ulrichs drum beats on the earlier songs couldnt be any worse then they r. kirk hammett has a wanna be eddie van halen sound like almost everyone except he plays with a heavier sound. thats y slash is so special as a guitarist cuz he is not like evreyone else with his style. and think about you is not a mushy song. its a good song. anything goes is the mushy song of that album which wasnt even supposed to be on that album. it was supposed to be replaced by you could be mine
    And "Anything Goes" is a great song IMO. Not the best but very good.
    benthegrunge
    i don't think its as good as back in black, if we're honest there's quite a few throwaway songs on appetite for destruction, and a lot of songs merge together, like how there is cowbell all over it for some reason lol. i guess you can say they have a distinctive rhythm section and guitars, and if you like that then you'll like the album much more