Greatest Hits review by Guns N' Roses

• Released: Mar 23, 2004
Guns N' Roses: Greatest Hits

Excellent sound, from the opening of "Welcome To The Jungle" to the closing of "Sympathy For The Devil," the hard rock/heavy metal styles are shown on this album, as well as the softer ballads.

Axl Rose may not be the best singer in the world, but the songs he sang, the voice fitted perfectly. 01. Welcome To The Jungle - best opening song ever. The wild guitar style goes, and then the power chords come in to bring in the heavy lyrics. Based on LA, which I have been to, the lyrics fit really well. 02. Sweet Child O' Mine - softer style song than the first, this song was originally written for Axl's girlfriend. The circus-style plays, and then the chords come in with perfect timing, then when the circus riff dies out, Axl comes in. 03. Patience - once again shows the band's soft side. This acoustic song features excellent lyrics, but no bass. 04. Paradise City - one of the biggest rock anthems. Everyone knows this song's chorus 05. Knockin' On Heaven's Door - cover of the original song by Bob Dylan. Since Bob was a great songwriter, the lyrics go fine, and the choir in the end fits perfectly. 06. Civil War - anti-war song with excellent lyrics, probably my favorite song, lyrically, on the album. 07. You Could Be Mine - written entirely by Izzy Stradlin, though credited differently, this hard rock song features strong instrument parts, with strong lyrics. 08. Don't Cry - the chorus of this song was supposedly said by a woman to Axl. The saying made an excellent song chorus, with a softer tone. 09. November Rain - this epic ballad features some of the greatest lyrics on the album, along with a minute long piano solo, and a two minute long guitar solo. Based on the book "Without You" by Del James. 10. Live And Let Die - originally by Paul McCartney & Wings, this song has a shortage of lyrics, but great instrumentals. 11. Yesterdays - good lyrics, but I would have preferred Izzy to sing this one, Axl's voice was too high for this. 12. Ain't It Fun - orinally written by Cheetah Chrome, according to the album, but there is some controversy on this. Good lyrics though. 13. Since I Don't Have You - an older Doo-wop song by James Beaumont & The Skyliners, not a predictable GNR song, and not one of my favorites, but Axl's additional phrase in the song (which I can't put here) provided plenty of good humor. 14. Sympathy For The Devil - originally recorded by the Rolling Stones, this song features amazing lyrics to the devil's life.

Definately compares to other GN'R albums, however I think it should have been the "Best Of GN'R", and been a double album, with "Coma," "Estranged" and more.