Greatest Hits review by Guns N' Roses

• Released: Mar 23, 2004
Guns N' Roses: Greatest Hits

This CD is the best "Greatest Hits" style CD that I currently own, excluding multiple-disc sets. This CD does justice to the GN'R name, and all those affiliated with it. It also covers a wider spectrum of their sound than most other compilations of greatest hits. And in my opinion, every song on this CD deserves to be here. The CD starts off with "Welcome to the Jungle" and then quickly progresses to a softer mood with songs like "Sweet Child O' Mine", "Patience", "Paradise City", and staying the course with a cover of Bob Dylan's "Knocking on Heaven's Door". Smoothly, the album progresses through to "Civil War", which I find to be a great show of the acoustic abilities of GN'R. But then there is a less-than-subtle transition with a fast drum beat in "You Could Be Mine". And then they get back into a softer mood yet again with "Don't Cry", and then "November Rain", a a song that shows that there is a place for pianos in rock music. Then it continues with a cover of Paul McCartney's "Live and Let Die", which contin ues with the piano theme for a point, and then back into heavier rock smoothly within the song. After that, the album progresses to the nostalgic song "Yesterday", and then with a remorseful "Ain't It Fun", the bluesy "Since I Don't Have You", and finishes with "Sympathy for the Devil". I wouldn't consider any of the songs on this CD a musical innovation in the context that this CD is not the debut of songs like "Paradise City" and "Sweet Child". The sound is Guns N' Roses, and if you are starting to like them, I suggest you get this CD first, or the Appetite For Destruction CD.

Maybe I'll use this paragraph to focus less on lyrics and more on instrumentation and vocalization. I will say, however, that the lyrics are all great, make sense, and Axl Rose is a great singer, with his own unique, unmistakable sound. When it comes to lead guitar, you've got Slash. In my book, he is the #2 guitarist of all time, just below Eddie Van Halen and just above Randy Rhoades. But let's not argue this, because each is good in their own respect. Acoustic, clean, dirty or bluesy, Slash can do it, and do it well. And he's a damn fine player. As for bass, really I wasn't geniunely impressed. Then again, the GN'R bassist is still a much better bassist than I am, so who am I to criticize? Bass is definitely used as a rythym instrument here. And the rythym guitar's chords match perfectly with all the lead parts, so the rythym section is covered just fine. I'm not exactly a fan of drums, and sometimes the drum beat seems to be the entire focus of the song. But that's not Guns N' Roses. The drummer definitely keeps the beat well, and is pretty constant, which is good, especially for a rythym instrument.

The question is not if this CD is comparable to a Greatest Hits compilations, but the opposite. My personal favorites on this CD are "Live And Let Die", "Sweet Child O' Mine", and "Paradise City", in no order. I wish this CD had more of the faster and harder songs from GN'R, but I'm more likely to listen to a softer song that makes sense rather than something that is obscene and senseless, which GN'R does not do as far as my knowledge goes. If it were lost/stolen, I would buy a blank disc or borrow one from a friend. I'm old-school and still buy CDs, so whenever I get a new CD it upload it to my computer. That way I always have the data, so if it got scratched/stolen/cracked/lost or anything else that can happen, I would be able to still listen to the CD. This is a great CD. It's Guns N' Roses. 'Nuff said.