Live Era '87-'93 review by Guns N' Roses

• Released: Nov 23, 1999
Guns N' Roses: Live Era '87-'93

In Live Era Guns N' Roses plays some of their greatest songs live, obviously - and boy do they play them excellently. Like all the GN'R records, this song is fast straight out rock n' roll. There's a few piano-driven songs, like "It's Alright," "November Rain" and there's some slow songs, like "Estranged." No matter the speed of the song, the album sounds great. The live tracks were mastered excellently from the original versions, and it sounds like you're up close to the band at an actual Guns N' Roses show back in the time where they were in their prime.

If anyone has ever listened to Guns N' Roses, they know that some songs are about the lyrics, while some songs are not. This is the same on the live album. Most of the lyrics fit with the songs, however. For example, "November Rain" shines lyrically, it's about love and the things that it brings upon people. The pace of the song fits this, it is a slow piano ballad. Songs such as "Mr. Brownstone" which are about drugs, go fast and quick, which is needed because of the lyrics. Vocalist Axl Rose's singing on this album is almost spot on, but it is better in some of the songs while worse in others.

This compares to Guns N' Roses other work. However, Guns N' Roses are very different from other bands of their time. Some of the better songs on this album include "It's Alright" which is a Black Sabbath cover; also, the electric version of "Used To Love Her" is great. There's also a good moment in "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" where Axl shouts "Gimme some reggae!" which improves the song. I love Guns N' Roses style on this album. I wouldn't say I hate anything, but I would say that I dislike the way Axl sings the beginning of "Sweet Child O' Mine."

Polish guy
    Why are You writin' about Chinese Democracy?? I though it was Live ERA review..
    corms12
    hahahah chinese democracy is bad....it has axl rose only....i dont like axl rose. he is up himself. i liked his way of music but he was the one that want ed to change the bands style