Live Era '87-'93 review by Guns N' Roses

• Released: Nov 23, 1999
Guns N' Roses: Live Era '87-'93

Live Era '87-'93 is a collection of live performance from different old Guns N' Roses concerts (not the new Guns N' Roses). While that means that the songs don't flow (if you know what I mean) because the songs jump from concert to concert, it means that each song shows GN'R on great form. As you may know, all the songs in this album are Hard Rock, with a bit of an 80's metal kind of sound. However, in some songs, they play softer rock (November Rain and Patience to name a few). Slash and Izzy play hard rock riffs and screaming solos and Axl Rose is on fine form of the majority of the songs, and also interacting with the crowd (and not fighting them suprisingly). However, sometimes you get the feeling (just look at the comments below) that some bits may have been dubbed on.

The lyrics in the live songs are the same as the studio versions of these songs, so I think the lyrics are very good, whether in more restrained, thoughtful songs like Estranged, or in songs about girls (My Michelle), drink (Nightrain), drugs (Mr. Brownsyone) or maybe a mix of all the last three subjects (Welcome To The Jungle). Nevertheless, I think the lyrics are much better than any of the songs coming out today (except from a few bands), and also better than any of the bands around at the time. Like I said before, most of the time, Axl Rose is on good form.

I like this album because you have to hear Guns N' Roses live to really appreciate them, because they thrive up on stage, not in the studio. Plus, this album collects of nearly all of Guns N' Roses greatest hits, much better than Guns N' Roses Greatest Hits. (I mean, come on, how is a cover of Sympathy for the devil one of their greatest hits). If this album was lost oh no wait, I downloaded it. Well, if it was stolen but I downloaded it. Well, I'll have to be creative, if I got a virus which deleted this album, I'd get McAffee Virus Protection to kick it's ass, then I'd redowload the album.

jiggy low-ballz
    Overall a good live album. As for all of the overdub stuff, hey, Kiss Alive was almost entirely overdubbed and it is still a kick ass live album. Stand outs are "Used to Love Her", "It's Alright","Estranged","Paradise City", "knocing on Heaven's Door","Move to the City" and "Rocket Queen". Overall a good buy.