Use Your Illusion I review by Guns N' Roses

• Released: Jan 1, 1991
Guns N' Roses: Use Your Illusion I

When you listen to Appetite for Destruction, you want to get up and air guitar every minute of Slash's glory, or better yet, become Slash himself and run around in his leather pants. But Use Your Illusion I, in my opinion, is more diverse musically. It sounds like the boys all sat down and carefully composed all of these songs, and they did a damn fine job of it too. The inclusion of keyboards really impressed me, as after hearing the tunes in Appetite, you never would expect hearing something like November Rain. Slash continues his Godly guitar ways, and Izzy and Axl write superb lyrics in what I consider the best power ballad ever written, Don't Cry.

I can see why all the girls loved Axl so much, because he really knows how to write a good ballad. It's a shame that Izzy Stradlin doesn't or didn't get more credit as a song writer, because when you listen to the songs for their lyrical quality, you really get what you paid for. I espescially enjoyed Axl stepping back to backup on "You Ain't the First" and Izzy singing lead, because with Axl's voice it's kind of hard to hear the backups, so it's good to hear Izzy. You know a band has to have good lyricists when they do a second version of a song, only replacing the lyrics while keeping the exact same music (Don't Cry).

It is really a shame that Axl and Izzy didn't see eye to eye, because after hearing Appetite and the Use Your Illusions, you can see that this band was on to something. They have the perfect mix of hard rock (Bad Obsession, Right Next Door to Hell), blues (Don't Cry, You Ain't the First), and epics (November Rain, Coma) on this record. Although there may not be songs of the same "single potential" as in Appetite, but Led Zeppelin didn't do singles. The album as a whole is truly great. Please note the fall apart of Guns N' Roses after his departure during the Use Your Illusion tour. One would think he held the band together, and that person wouldn't be wrong.