Use Your Illusion I review by Guns N' Roses

• Released: Jan 1, 1991
Guns N' Roses: Use Your Illusion I

When I bought this album, the other GN'R albums I had were only Appetite For Destruction and Use Your Illusion II so I expected more of the same with some straight out raw hard rock with a softer song every now and then. But from the start this album defines itself from the others with its fast punk styled edge and more dark songs than the other albums. It also demstrates a lot more musical creativity than some of their other albums with songs ranging from the fast-paced Garden of Eden to the epics of November Rain and Coma along with the straight-out hard rock of Back of Bitch and Don't Damn Me. This is all powered by the guitars of Slash and Izzy are in blistering form, with creative bass lines from Duff and hard drumming from Matt Sorum. It blew me away.

The lyrics of this album are interesting. Although the topics range from things as obscure as neighbours (Right Next Door To Hell) to drug addiction (Mr. Brownstone) they seem to all be fitting for Guns N' Roses. The vocals are generally good, with Axl displaying his extensive vocal range and Izzy singing on some of the bluesier songs (Dust N' Bones, Double Talkin' Jive) suprisingly well. Overall I like the lyrics and vocals a lot.

In compared to my other GN'R albums this ranks as second only to Appetite For Destruction. It shows them at some of their creative best. My favourite songs on this album are Dust N' Bones (Izzy is the most underated everything on earth), Dead Horse, Garden Of Eden and Perfect Crime, but its all good. I have no major problems with this album but I do note that you will find faults if you try to. Nonetheless, if this album was stolen/lost I would postpone the rest of my life until I bought a new copy.

Mahoru
    Their best album! I love it (and I'm not a rock fan, I'm an extreme metal fan, so this means something good)