Use Your Illusion II review by Guns N' Roses

• Released: Sep 17, 1991
Guns N' Roses: Use Your Illusion II

More bluesy and slow than Use your Illusion 1 but still has hard rocking tracks like Civil War and You Could be Mine. It also has a cover of Knockin' on Heavens door which is very well played with an arpeggio introduction. The sound is very good and they worked together well in songs like Enstranged and Civil War. The song Get In The Ring starts with a nice blues solo over cheering fans and then goes into a hard guitar riff. The song My World though has no real value to it.

The lyrics in songs like Civil War, Enstranged, You Could Be Mine, and Get in the Ring just move me. They make me wanna go to my room and write a song just like them. They lyrics fit well with the music like in Civil War the arpeggio fits the tone of Axl's singing. Axl's skill ranges from lower notes, to a small voice, to screaming his head off. He is one of the best singers alive.

It is better than Greenday albums, but not better than Use Your Illusion 1. The best songs are Civil War, Enstranged, You Could Be Mine, Knockin' On Heavens Door, and Get In The Ring. Shotgun Blues is an okay song. The only thing I don't like is how bluesy some of the songs are. The Guns N' Roses I've got to know is the hard rock band with a singer who screams like crazy, not a blues rock band who adds in a few swears to still they are hard rock.

SnookM
    I was thinking surely "My World" can't be that bad, I bought the album today, yes, it is that bad! The rest of the album rocks though, not sure if I like it more than UYI 1 but I haven't listened to it properly yet.
    racingboyy321
    The best songs of this album are: 1. Civil War 2. Estranged 3. Knockin' On Heaven's Door 4. Locomotive 5. Yesterdays 6. Get In The Ring My World is so rubbish its the worst song I have
    amacno2
    This is albm WAYYY better than UYI 1. All the songs could be a top 5 Single. UYI 1 best songs - 1.November Rain 2.Don't Cry 3.Right Next Door To Hell 4.Dust N' Bones 5. Live and Let Die UYI 2 best songs - 1.Civil War 2. Estranged and You Could Be Mine 3.Knocking on Heaven's Door 4. Yesterdays 5. Locomotive Does any1 like Chinese Democracy?? Most of the songs are minus shacklers revenge and parts of If the World and Chinese Democracy sound a bit like the old guns n roses, and i really like it. I actually sorta liked My World(I mean its not HORRIBLE but its not even close to good and its awesome to listen to when you are pissed off)
    jiggy low-ballz
    "My World" aside, this would be my personal fave of the two Illusion albums. "Breakdown", "Estranged","Civil War", "14 Years", "Locomotive" and "You Could Be Mine" are probably the stand-outs.
    reggie119
    the song "my world" was a filler song! it was a song that axl did by himself. The rest of the band didn't know about the song until it was released!
    TheReFiller
    This album is a masterpiece. Estranged, Civil War, Knockin' on Heaven's Door, etc. But "My World" has got to be the worst song on my computer.
    SG-Burchett
    This album is legend. it has good hard rock songs like you could be mine,shotgun blues, get in the ring, pretty tied up and civil war. ballads like so fine, estranged, don't cry and classics like knockin on heaven's door, 14 years and yesterdays. and finally it's also got great guitar riffs and fills as shown in locomotive, and breakdown, and with the exception of 'my world' this album shows G'N'R at their musical best. does anybody actually like my world-it's s***. this might be a snapshot of what g'n'r is like now all the cool members have left.
    enginehead
    My World has to be the worst album closer of all time. What was alx thinkin, he claims he "needed to get it out of my system", why not just release a single or sumthin, do not put it alongside these many great songs.Anyways, My favourites are 14 years, civil war, estranged and knockin on heavens door
    queenslander47
    i prefer this to illusion 1. Estranged is one the greatest songs ever written. The slower piano based song guns did really showed just how talented they were (and still are) 13 brilliant songs to bad axl ****ed up the album with my world. wtf is that? i just try to erase that song from my memory
    biggizzmometer
    brilliant album, but my world? if you think about that and his new songs i think we can tell who ****ed that band up.
    wencad12
    This album along with Use Your Illusion 1 are my personal favorites of G N R. I think Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 are the ultimate highlights of Guns N Roses career as a band.
    mitch311
    Does anyone actually like my world? If so state your name. Anyway this is my favourite guns n roses album, songs 1-12 are great. I like don't cry with alt lyrics but I prefer the original though.